Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Style: Cozying Up for Fall

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 33 Replies

Fall is the best time of year if you love few things more than snuggling under a nice, soft, fleecy blanket with a good book and a warm beverage. It's the ultimate cozy time, when the days are still nice enough to be outside and the nights are cool enough that you're grateful to have a warm place to be inside.

There are a few simple, relatively low-cost ways to remake your home into the perfect cocooning spot for the chilly months to come:

Candles: The flickering glow of a flame is magical, and scented candles can freshen a closed-in space. If you worry about open flames around kids or pets, try some of the new flameless candles. Some are so realistic, you'd never know they aren't the real thing.

Throws: These attractive blankets come in all kinds of colors, prints and fabrics to fit your needs. Velvety chenille, chic faux fur, or homey crochet, these can not only help you keep heating bills down because you can throw on over you and turn down the thermostat, they provide an attractive layered look draped over the back of a chair or couch.

Accessories: I really like bringing the outdoors in and reflecting the harvest, using things like decorative gourds, branches, or pine cones. Try filling glass jars of different sizes with pine cones, or arranging some attractive branches in a tall vase in the corner. Or make a hole in mini pumpkins and use them as candle holders.

Curtains: Replace light, airy cotton with rich, warm velvets or jacquards. Bonus: this helps keep out drafts from windows.

Plants: If you have any herbs still hanging on in the garden now is a great time to pot them up and put them in a sunny window to flavor your meals all winter long. Sage and rosemary, in particular, look as gorgeous as they smell and taste, and as perennials will take well to being put outside again in the spring.

How do you like to cozy up your house for fall?

by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Nov. 9, 2012 at 8:32 AM
I don't do a lot of seasonal decoration... I did get some pumpkins this year, and arranged them around a tea light holder as a centerpiece. That's about as decorative as I get!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 8:49 AM

throw blankets and candles!

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Nov. 9, 2012 at 9:11 AM

I have my warmer and my blanket..A nice cup of hot tea or coffee with me. And I read or crochet... 

bwsmommy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 9:11 AM

I love love love my candles and once my tree gets up its usually the only light we have in the livingroom besides a small lamp !

keeckhardt
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 9:51 AM

The only thing that really changes at my house is the scents. I really only decorate for Christmas.

inmybizz
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 10:07 AM

throws and candles

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Nov. 9, 2012 at 10:19 AM

blankets, "winter" scented cadles, more soups and chili's, sweaters and hoodies.

VisionSeeker
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 10:20 AM

All the above things listed.  But mainly candles and throws.

fraujones
by Amanda on Nov. 9, 2012 at 12:08 PM

I don't change much, but we definitely bring out more throws and blankets as the weather gets colder. 

momkaribg
by Kari on Nov. 9, 2012 at 12:30 PM

candles and throw blankets

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)