Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mother Daughter Shopping Trip

Posted by   + Show Post

"I am so excited for our mommy daughter day, mama!" I loved hearing those words from my 3 year old daughter this morning. I had decided it was a much needed day for the girls and what better way to spend it than to start Christmas shopping. This is my most favorite time of year and I truly believe it is the most wonderful time of year.

In the past few years, however, shopping has become more of a stressful time than a happy one. Going to the checkout line with items that I had never seen, little hands touching everything in the aisle, adding by the second to the Santa list - not to mention, "I'm hungry," "I want to go the playground", "I'm tired," "I'm hot," "I don't want to get that I want this,"  and on and on. By the end of the shopping trip I have accomplished nothing and need a nap more than my children.

So I was a little anxious to see what this day held, but in the end it far exceeded my expectations - MacKenzie was wonderful. She understood we were buying for others and she loved trying to help pick out gifts for her family. She even wanted to get her big brother an orange balloon, his favorite color! As in most cases, there was the exception to the rule! Little Miss Mackie decided to walk into a store and grab a stuffed animal and run out saying "I love her mommy can we bring her home!" Although this happened in a 5 second span and my eyes were on her the whole time, my initial instinct was oh my goodness, the store is going to be appalled! My stress level immediately went through the roof!  When I rapidly but gently took her hand to bring her back in the store the ladies were all in the store laughing and smiling. "What a doll, how cute, she is too funny..." I just smiled and said thank you and sorry. I explained to her that we didn't need that today because we were shopping for others and we always pay for items before leaving the store. As the day progressed, I was reflecting about how lucky I was to have understanding workers there who saw the humor and innocence of the situation.

Despite that little hiccup, MacKenzie reminded me of the pure pleasure shopping can be. I spend so much time thinking and plotting the perfect gift for my family and friends that I forget how simple it can be. You see something you love, pick it up and buy it. If it makes you smile and you love it, chances are so will the family member or friend. Who ever would have thought my 3 year old would simplify my shopping for all years to come? 

Of course, we had to take a few more potty breaks, snack breaks, and playground breaks than I would have if I were alone, but having her there was worth it...https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif

So, I'd love to hear, are there any other funny, embarrassing, or rewarding family shopping stories out there?

by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-50):
LancesMom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Quoting Threes.Company:

I don't have any!  LOL!  I HATE family shopping!!!  I prefer to go when I can go alone!

Me too! It drives me crazy I always end up spending more if hubby or anyone goes with me!

Charizma77
by Carissa on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:49 PM

None so far

LOswald0314
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:52 AM

I do all of my shopping online so I have no stories :(

babyboxfish
by Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 2:52 AM

Quoting lasombrs:

none so far!

maxswolfsuit
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:57 AM

I can't think of anything. 

GwenMB
by Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:46 AM

I can't remember any good or not-so-good family shopping stories - other than the time when I was trying to do Christmas shopping & my 7 week old DS was home with Daddy refusing to take a bottle so Daddy had to call me to come home. :(  DS never did take a bottle.

I do plan to take each boy shopping, alone, to find a present for their brother, though. So I might have a good story or two after that! 

GwenMB
by Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Quoting MamaMandee:

Last year I took my youngest (then 3yr) out Christmas shopping. We stopped at the Dollar Tree to pick up a few things and on our way out the car then who pulls up but Mr. & Mrs. Claus. A wonderfully sweet couple dressed in full Santa gear. My super shy daughter started to run to them, smiling and yelling Santa, Santa! She ran up and gave them both big hugs and was talking a mile a minute. It made me smile, especially because she was a child that hide even when her grandparents came over. 

That is super cute!

Samanthamommy
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:51 PM

I love shopping!

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:42 PM

My daughter likes to go shopping from time to time

copperswifey
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:16 PM

My kids will sing really loud in the store which can get embarrassing. Everyone else gets a kick out of it though. :/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)