Themed Gift Baskets – Cupcake Decorating and Baking

By christina f on Nov. 13, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Cupcakes! They are literally everywhere you look nowadays and you can get them in a variety of flavors and designs. Chocolate, red velvet, carrot, marbled, almond, margarita, pumpkin, lemon should I go on? So, it's no surprise that they've made their way right into our home kitchens. Many of my friends are expert cupcake bakers and love experimenting with all sorts of frostings, cake flavors, spices, toppers and more.

That's why I'm making a few cupcake decorating and baking themed baskets as gifts this holiday season. Themed gift baskets are always a smart and cost effective way to surprise friends and family. Plus it's kind of like the gift that keeps on giving, as there are a tiny little small gifts all wrapped up in one pretty package.

Here's what I'm planning on putting into each basket:

• Cupcake tins - try a mini or extra large cupcake pan for an added surprise
  • Cupcake wrappers in various colors and styles
  • Sprinkles
  • Icing tubes
  • Measuring cups
  • Matching spatulas
  • Frostings
  • Stackable mixing bowls
  • A few brightly colored index cards with recipes already printed on them.

I also plan on tailoring each basket to the individual gift recipient, of course. It's the added touches like these that make gift giving so special. 

For instance, I have a friend who just had a little boy. I'm going to make her cupcake gift basket nautical themed, because this is what she chose for the nursery. I found super cute anchor candies to top the cupcakes, as well as navy blue and cream wrappers. These will be perfect for her little sailor!

Another friend just loves owls. These little guys have gotten quite trendy over the past few months, so why not incorporate these magnificent birds into a cupcake theme. I'm stocking her basket with ingredients to make German chocolate cupcakes. I found cute owl themed wrappers and toppers. Bright orange spatulas and a forest green mixing bowl round out the rest of the basket.

Here are a few other themes that might work for other gift baskets:

• Polka dots
  • Primary colors
  • Circus animals
  • Jungle
  • Garden party
  • Woodland creatures
  • Super heroes
  • Princess or prince

I'd certainly love to be on the receiving end of this gift. In fact, I might just bake a dozen cupcakes for whomever got me the gift. Hint, hint.

Moms, what would you include in your cupcake themed basket?

christina f About :
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
  • GwenMB
  • by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:10 PM
  • What an awesome gift idea! If I were doing this, I'd also include a gluten free cake mix for the friends who need to bake gluten free.

• Quote Reply
  • goddess99
  • by Michelle on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:35 PM
  • I might add a small cake/cupcake cookbook and a couple sturdy mixing spoons(I always hand mix). I would Love to get a basket like that.

• Quote Reply
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: