Would it be terrible if I asked my sister...

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:29 PM
  • 52 Replies

for $70 a month to watch her kids (ages 6 & 9) three nights a week?

I ask this because we would like to move to their complex...and right now she pays her friend $70 a week to watch her girls 3 nights a week. The $70 would help tremendously with our bills since the rent is about $50 more than we can afford spend per month.

We love those girls and they love our son. I would do it for free no question. We were all raised with the understanding that if a family member needs help and we are able...we dont charge them for it.

I am conflicted.

What do you ladies thing? Is it shallow of me to ask?

~M

CafeMom Tickers
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
roxxyt
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:33 PM
Although it would help, I don't think it's right, would be different if she offered it to you, you may need her help one day, would you pay for it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wish2Be
by Michelle on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Quoting roxxyt:

Although it would help, I don't think it's right, would be different if she offered it to you, you may need her help one day, would you pay for it?

Well I figured that she would be saving $250 a month if I was there. I would only want $70 for the entire month...not per week. It would still be helping her out a big deal.

I may not be able to move there ...which means I will not be able to help her watch her kids at all.

CafeMom Tickers
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:38 PM

I don't think there's anything wrong with asking. She's already paying someone else, why not you?

Roo1234
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:40 PM
Not shallow. Wwatching once inn a while to help out is a lit different than following a set schedule
Chellie13
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Never hurts to ask.  I would much rather pay someone I know... especially someone in my own family, instead of a stranger or acquaintence.  You'd be saving her money in the long run too. 

lyrick24
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:47 PM

you should ask her and explain to her the reason why.

xoch86
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:53 PM

I dunno.. I think it's kinda weird for u to be asking her to pay you to watch her kids when she already has a babysitter set everything.. If she asked you it'd be different.. Maybe you can being up how u wish the kids could spend more time together, and mention how u wanna move knot her building but ur x amount short to be able to afford it, and see if she offers it to u..?

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:02 PM
I don't think I'd ask that of a family member. If she offers, that's one thing, but to ask doesn't feel right.

JMO. You gotta do what's right for you.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jendawn1
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:06 PM
I don't think I would ask. However it depends on your Relationship with her
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetLuci
by Luci on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like it would help both of you. I think it's great. I had to read it twice to realize she's paying $70 a week, and you would charge her $70 a month. Talk to her and see what she thinks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: