Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would it be terrible if I asked my sister...

Posted by   + Show Post

for $70 a month to watch her kids (ages 6 & 9) three nights a week?

I ask this because we would like to move to their complex...and right now she pays her friend $70 a week to watch her girls 3 nights a week. The $70 would help tremendously with our bills since the rent is about $50 more than we can afford spend per month.

We love those girls and they love our son. I would do it for free no question. We were all raised with the understanding that if a family member needs help and we are able...we dont charge them for it.

I am conflicted.

What do you ladies thing? Is it shallow of me to ask?

~M

CafeMom Tickers
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:29 PM
Replies (11-20):
sondamom0828
by Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:14 PM

you can always ask and tell her the predictament you are in?  The worse she can say is no, right?

mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 6:22 AM

If you can't afford to live where she does you don't move, that's irresponsible. 

What's to say she says yes to that and 6 months from now loses her job? Or decides that she wants to stay home? Or that she doesn't want to pay her sister to watch her kids anymore?

Too risky. Not a responsible idea.

brownhoney21
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 6:26 AM

Talk to her about it.

KRIZZ25
not everyone's child should be treated special ..
Yesterday at 10:56 PM
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 6:30 AM
did she as u to baby sit?? i have luned over the years dont mix money wth family.it back fires..but good luck..
mrswillie
by CeeCee on Nov. 14, 2012 at 7:08 AM

If you are close to her, i would explain it, just as you did here.

MamaJane
by Jane:) on Nov. 14, 2012 at 7:17 AM

I don't see why not.  It would help cover food and utilities while they were there.  You aren't getting enough to consider it getting paid to watch them.  It's just covering your expenses. 

As a day care provider I once had a girl who was 3 and had been with me since she was 6 weeks old.  Her grandmother had watched her older brothers but when her mom got pregnant with her grandma had told her she was done and wouldn't be watching grandchildren anymore.  So she was with me for 3 years when grandma tells mom she's fallen on hard times and needs to make some money so she'd like to watch the granddaughter now.  Mom was put in a hard spot (it's her mother in law) and had to switch.  Personally I was pretty ticked off at Grandma.  I thought it was really rude and selfish of her.  I know this isn't your situation at all, just someone mentioned the previous caregiver's feelings and it made me think of it.

wandep
by Pam on Nov. 14, 2012 at 7:20 AM

Ditto.

Quoting SweetLuci:

Sounds like it would help both of you. I think it's great. I had to read it twice to realize she's paying $70 a week, and you would charge her $70 a month. Talk to her and see what she thinks.

TheMrs407
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 7:23 AM

I think I would figure out where I was moving before I asked (which I see nothing wrong with).

sweetpea1269
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:27 AM
I agree, you'll be saving her $$, its win win!

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

I don't think there's anything wrong with asking. She's already paying someone else, why not you?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rushn311
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:30 AM

I would try, she can only say no

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)