Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would it be terrible if I asked my sister...

Posted by   + Show Post

for $70 a month to watch her kids (ages 6 & 9) three nights a week?

I ask this because we would like to move to their complex...and right now she pays her friend $70 a week to watch her girls 3 nights a week. The $70 would help tremendously with our bills since the rent is about $50 more than we can afford spend per month.

We love those girls and they love our son. I would do it for free no question. We were all raised with the understanding that if a family member needs help and we are able...we dont charge them for it.

I am conflicted.

What do you ladies thing? Is it shallow of me to ask?

~M

CafeMom Tickers
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:29 PM
Replies (21-30):
mjimaging
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:35 AM
One problem I see is you'd be gettig a place you can't afford. What if your sister says one day she doesn't want to pay you to do it anymore. Now you are short $50 every month. Seems like a risk to overspend expecting family to make up the difference by paying for a service you are offering.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
critter_boo
by Sarah on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:38 AM
Be Ed hurts to ask
critter_boo
by Sarah on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:39 AM
Never hurts to ask
Threes.Company
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:52 AM

That's a really low amount for monthly help.  I think that is fair.  And if it is a regular sitting job, that is different from here-and-there babysitting.  I don't charge my family when they need a sitter here and there.  But when I used to watch my nephew on a regular basis, my brother and sister paid me to do it.

bloomsr
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:54 AM
Are you feeding them? If so I would maybe ask for $40-$50.
GypsiSky
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I think if you explain your situation to her, she may just be happy to do it. She is paying someone else anyway, I don't see the problem.

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:32 AM

I dont think there is anything wrong with it.Thats a lot cheaper then daycare and you are someone she can trust

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:19 PM
I wouldnt...But you could ask and see what happens...
KristinRox
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:39 PM

If it was something you were going to do on a regular basis, I think that would be perfectly fine. 

Luvmybooskies
by Tiff on Nov. 14, 2012 at 2:53 PM

I think you deserve to be paid, but I PERSONALLY wouldn't ever be able to ask a family to pay me for babysitting. I watch my niece sometimes and my BIL always tries to pay me and I almost always say no. I think I did take the money a time or two, but that was only because I was watching her insane hours and I also knew he could afford to pay me. (again, it was offered I didn't ask) Then again, I have also been taken advantage of when it comes to baby sitting and you need to be careful and speak up for yourself if you feel you are being used.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN