Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would it be terrible if I asked my sister...

Posted by   + Show Post

for $70 a month to watch her kids (ages 6 & 9) three nights a week?

I ask this because we would like to move to their complex...and right now she pays her friend $70 a week to watch her girls 3 nights a week. The $70 would help tremendously with our bills since the rent is about $50 more than we can afford spend per month.

We love those girls and they love our son. I would do it for free no question. We were all raised with the understanding that if a family member needs help and we are able...we dont charge them for it.

I am conflicted.

What do you ladies thing? Is it shallow of me to ask?

~M

CafeMom Tickers
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 8:29 PM
Replies (31-40):
koolkidsmom
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Not shallow you just want what's best for your family and a nice place to live is in their best interest.

koolkidsmom
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 2:57 PM

She's already paying someone and also you would be closer in case of an emergency for non paying babysitting. IMO

keeckhardt
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 3:25 PM
Exactly!

Quoting SweetLuci:

Sounds like it would help both of you. I think it's great. I had to read it twice to realize she's paying $70 a week, and you would charge her $70 a month. Talk to her and see what she thinks.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 3:27 PM

I agree

Quoting SweetLuci:

Sounds like it would help both of you. I think it's great. I had to read it twice to realize she's paying $70 a week, and you would charge her $70 a month. Talk to her and see what she thinks.

manifer_momma
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 3:27 PM
This.

Quoting Roo1234:

Not shallow. Wwatching once inn a while to help out is a lit different than following a set schedule
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tazmidgiefairy
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 3:29 PM
Sounds like it fair
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EireLass
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 4:00 PM

I think that's a win-win situation.

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 4:01 PM

its not shallow, but i would ask for a lil more. $70 a month versus $70x4 weeks is $280....

KaylaMillar
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 4:20 PM
I think it's very reasonable
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wish2Be
by Michelle on Nov. 14, 2012 at 7:09 PM

My husband has 12 giutars worth anywhere from $500-$1500 each. If something happened...we could always pawn one. Not to mention its not like its several hundred over our price point...its only $50 over our price point per month. So its not irresponsible.

Quoting mom2jessnky:

If you can't afford to live where she does you don't move, that's irresponsible. 

What's to say she says yes to that and 6 months from now loses her job? Or decides that she wants to stay home? Or that she doesn't want to pay her sister to watch her kids anymore?

Too risky. Not a responsible idea.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)