Smarter Mom: When Do The Holidays Start?

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 46 Replies

My Facebook feed is bitterly divided right now....and no, it's not about the election results! It's about whether now is a perfectly good time to start all the Christmas/holiday season excitement, or if we should maybe let the Thanksgiving leftovers lose their luster before starting another holiday.

Stores, of course, have been decked out since Nov. 1, and two radio stations in my town have started their Christmas music 24-7. Last year they started before Halloween...this year they waited, after asking people to vote on when to start.

Now I love the holiday season as much as the next person, but I am a big fan of Thanksgiving too. It's like, there's one awesome, family-oriented and festive holiday complete with long weekend, and then the very next day a whole new season of celebration starts!

I also think it's harder for kids to handle the wait if they've had Santa in their sight for months. Remember how loonnnngggg the wait for Christmas was when you were a kid, if you celebrated it? That's hard enough without starting the excitement before the first snowflake has even fallen.

However, my holidays-loving friends say they just love everything about this time of year, and want to keep that spirit of celebration going as long as they can. I have to agree, although personally I'd love to see them extend all the festivity into the new year. I need a little Christmas in February more than I do in October!

Are you a Christmas NOW or Christmas later kind of a person?

by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
black.eyeliner
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:04 AM

We will begin decorating for Yule this weekend. We have 12 days to celebrate but my family does something for each day of December. Plus we make all of our decorations and most of the gifts which takes time.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:19 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:06 AM

After December 1st :)

BeachMommy07
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:28 AM

After Thanksgiving is when I decorate.

mereinhart28
by Michelle on Nov. 15, 2012 at 6:42 AM

I start decorating the weekend after Thanksgiving. 

wandep
by Pam on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:32 AM

We usually start decorating for Christmas after Thanksgiving.

fraujones
by Amanda on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:37 AM

I'm usually a Christmas later kind of person, but this year I've started thinking about it earlier. I want to be prepared. 

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I started decorating the weekend after Halloween

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Christmas later! I need some time to recover from Halloween and get through the big family Thanksgiving before I start thinking Christmas... I love Christmas, decorations and music and all. But still. It's only mid-November!

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Christmas after Thanksgiving is only fair!

bether89
by Ruby Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:59 AM

I like for the Christmas celebration to start after Thanksgiving.  I am not thrilled that many stores are starting their Black "Friday" sales on Thursday. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: