Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about Leapsters?

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:44 PM
  • 21 Replies
My oldest had one but was ahead in reading and math. She seemed to "outgrow" the games rather quickly. Now my 2.5 year old is already reading some words, knows his colors, knows shapes, knows numbers & letters. I'm wondering if it's worth even getting it for him or if a tablet would be better with more in depth apps. I was thinking of getting the Leap Pad tablet.

If you've had one or the Leapster explorer what do you think of the games? If your kids are ahead did they get bored with them quickly?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:53 PM
Bump I don't believe in tablets for that age. My 5 year old is getting a nabi for Christmas because hes gifted and it will benefit him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mereinhart28
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 6:55 AM

we have a leapster (for the tv, not a handheld) and my kids love it. they have games for up to 8 years old. my kids like it on rainy days or snowy days, but that's about it.

personally I wouldn't go with the tablet. seems a little young to me. but that's just me.

mom2jessnky
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:01 AM

I think Leapster products in general are a colossal waste of money.  Bear with me on this one.

Quick Amazon search the LeapPad is like $100 (ouch) and the games for it are $15-20 a pop. So the thing that will be good for 2 years TOPS, plus 5 games is $200, this is not factoring in that you'll have to buy new games all the time for it because your kid will get bored and those games are super short lived. I know people with leapsters, my kids beat games on them in 15 minutes, even when they were younger.

Why not just get a "Family Gift" of a Kindle Fire? Yes it's $199, (which is what you'd be spending on a gift that's only good for a 2-4yo) BUT with the Kindle Fire, you can go to the Amazon App Store, they have a free app a day (they take a paid app and give it away for one day, I've gotten some awesome apps that way) and apps are WAY cheaper than games for a leapster. the most I've seen an app cost is $6 (and it was an app for us boring adult types). and they last longer. AND everyone in your family can use the Fire. AND your kid won't outgrow it in a year and a half.

You could get the Fire and load in a bunch of Preschool apps (there are literally thousands), Angry Birds (every one loves that, the Star Wars version is the bomb), Cut the Rope, Where's My Water?, etc.

I just did a quick search on my phone for Preschool Apps, the first 20 results were free.

Just a Thought. Kindle Fire will give everyone happy feelings.

mrswillie
by CeeCee on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:04 AM

Bump, I haven't haad one

TheMrs407
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:13 AM

I think a tablet would be better, that way it could grow with your child and their learning needs.  I have considered the Leapsters too and I have a hard time spending $100+ on something she may be finished with in a year.  With a tablet  you could simply get new apps. They are becoming more and more reasonably priced as well.

wandep
by Pam on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:16 AM

My kids loved the leapster's. Didn't really get into the pads for them because they were older when they came out and now they just use daddy's ipad or their laptop. It's a great building tool the leapster is...as far as learning goes I think.

bri2011
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:09 AM
My older kids 7 and 6 have had the leapsters and leapster explores, the fisher price handheld thingy (forget what its called) and the vtech handheld game. In my honest opion unless u are planning to have another kid that will use the leapster when 2.5 outgrows it...its a waste of money. 5 yrs ago they were great!! But that was before the age of kids tablets like tabio meep, the kindle ipad etc. Id say spend the money and look into a kids tablet like the tabio kurio or meep. My kids hardly ever play any of their handheld games now since they have an ipad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
keeckhardt
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:14 AM
I have a leapster and vreader. My kids are allowed one hour per day for technology toys. My 5 year old reads a year above his level. They are handy in the car for long trips. Oh, both toys were gifts.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Juniper53098
by June on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:32 AM

I've never thought the leapster toys made sense to get.  The longevity is not enough for a child.  

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:41 AM

We have Leapster2 and dd1 who is 5 loves it! We also have an old leap pad book thing but need a cartridge lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)