Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Mom: New Thanksgiving Recipes from Pinterest

Posted by   + Show Post

I love Pinterest and this holiday season, I'm finding so many cool ideas from decorations to gifts to recipes I would make if I actually cooked. But I know many of you folks do cook and, like my dad (who is an awesome chef in his own right), are always on the search for some new recipes to try. Well, here you go: a few to whip up on Thursday!

Miso Glazed Carrots from MadeJustRight

What you need:

2 cups baby carrots

2 tablespoons light brown sugar

1 tablespoon Earth Balance, melted

1 tablespoon miso

1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce

1/8 teaspoon ground ginger

What you do:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix all ingredients except carrots until smooth. Toss carrots with glaze. Spread on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for approximately 30 minutes, or until tender.

Pumpkin Pie Bites from Bakerella

What you need:

2 refrigerated ready-to roll pie crusts

8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature

1/2 cup sugar

1 cup canned pumpkin

3 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (a mixture of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and allspice)

Pumpkin-shaped cookie cutter

Optional:
1/2 cup chocolate morsels

Vegetable oil

Re-sealable plastic bags

What you do:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use cookie cutter to cut 12 pumpkin shapes from each piecrust. You will need to roll the dough thinner than it comes out of the box. Press dough shapes into a 24 cup mini muffin tray. (Make 12 at a time, alternating cups to make sure pie crusts don't overlap each other.) Apply egg whites from one egg to the top edges of each pie. Mix cream cheese, sugar, canned pumpkin, remaining 2 eggs, vanilla and pumpkin pie spice together until thoroughly combined. Spoon mixture into each pumpkin-shaped pie crust. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Remove pies to cool and repeat with second pie crust. Place the muffin tray in the freezer to cool it quickly for re-use.

It makes 24 pies. Keep refrigerated. To decorate, melt chocolate in a heat-proof bowl in the microwave on medium. Heat in 30 second intervals, stirring in between until melted. Add a little vegetable oil to make the chocolate more fluid. Transfer to a re-sealable plastic bag and cut the corner off. Drizzle or draw faces on pies.

Chai Pumpkin Spice Thumbprints from PassThe Sushi (adapted from The Curvy Carrot) 

What you need: 

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature

1/2 cup sugar

1/4 cup chai concentrate

1 large egg

1 teas vanilla extract

1 and 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 teas baking soda

1/8 teas salt

1/2 teas chai spice mix (Make the mix with 1 1/2 tsp ground cardamom, 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ground ginger, and 1/4 tsp cloves)

1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

22-24 Pumpkin spice Hershey's Kisses 

What you do:

Combine the butter and sugar in the bowl of your stand mixer and cream at medium speed until fluffy, or with a hand mixer, for about 2-3 minutes. Add the egg, chai concentrate,  and the vanilla, mix until combined. Add the flour, baking soda, and salt, scraping down the sides of the mixing bowl as necessary. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Using your hands, roll the dough into 22 to 24 1 inch round balls. Place the dough balls on parchment paper lined baking sheets and sprinkle chai spice mix lightly over cookies. Bake the cookies for 12-15 minutes. Meanwhile, unwrap kisses. Remove the cookies from the oven and immediately place pumpkin kisses in the center of each cookie. Don't touch or the kisses will turn into puddles! Cool completely.

Do you get recipe ideas from Pinterest? What are your best Thanksgiving recipes?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ Faye78

by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-37):
Samanthamommy
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:12 PM

yum!

ethans_momma06
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Mmmm

SweetLuci
by Luci on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Great ideas. Thanks. I occasionally check out Pinterest, but not often.

AstuteMama
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:20 AM

I love Pinterest. I've gotten some great ideas from the DIY section, and I've found a few good recipes that I've had tried. I make a chocolate sour cream pie every year for Thanksgiving, I also make pumpkin pie from a recipe that my mom gave me over 15 years ago that I use every year. 

My chocolate sour cream pie is really easy to make:

1 large size box of instant chocolate pudding

1 cup sour cream

1 cup milk

1 large size Hersey's chocolate bar

1/2 tub of cool whip

Graham Cracker Crust

Directions:

Put chocolate pudding, sour cream, and milk in an air tight container. Shake container until ingredients are mixed together and no longer liquid. Take lid off scrape pie filling off lid, scrape sides of the bowl. Fold any sour cream or pudding mix that didn't get mixed together. Spread pie filling in graham cracker crust. Top with cool whip and garnish with Hershey's chocolate bar. Serve right away or chill in refrigerator.

powow65
by kimmy on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:40 AM
Sounds awesome!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:57 AM
I made a spinach artichoke dip and pumpkin cheesecakes from Pinterest I had to give everyone the recipes!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Looks good!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)