Group Home

renting and w questions on poor management

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:09 AM
  • 14 Replies

I moved to a reasonable affordable place in July and it has been quite a shocking experience so far.It is a complex with 400 units, gated and with security.

Before you read and say "move", please tell me if I have any rights to complain to nthe city for poor management or even to sue them for noise pollution and emotional stress

it is a Latino community and even though I am Latina, their style of life is completely far from mine.Kids play and make loud noise until 10 or 11 pm even during the week.When one person has a party it becomes a block party.Ine night trhey had a dj playing music in the street and with no permit.

Today they had a festivity and live music which was VERY went on for almost an hour.Security said they were not doing anything until 10 pm.that was at 7:40pm after I had out my baby in his crib and he wokpe up screaming from the noise.

I am a single mom, I work hard to keep the baby healthy and to keep the place clean and to be a good worker too so that I can provide for myself and the baby.Being bothered by loud music and a live party on a Sunday night was an emotional disturbance and physical to my baby.

I wrote to rhe manager but i was wondering if I have the right to do something more than that

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:44 AM

If it's after 10 pm, even 10:01 call the police.

Unfortunately before 10am most places won't do anything.

I can empathize I lived in apartments for a LONG time and had to deal with other people's BS.

One option you have and I pulled this card a couple times in my last place, if the apartment is run by a management company, call up corporate and make a scene about it with them. Shit rolls downhill and corporate gets  PISSED when they get calls from Tennants because the manager/management refused to do their job. Your apartment should say if it's run by a management company on the front sign or on any paperwork you have ex "Briar Club Apartments - a Fogleman Community"

BUT before you do that, write a letter to the management, with dates, time and details of issues and what you would like done about it. Make 2 copies, keep one, MAIL the other certified mail (so they have to sign for it) from the day they get it (you'll get notified) they have 30 days to do something about it. If they don't call corporate. It may be that the solution though is letting you out of your lease.

by CeeCee on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:06 AM

You need to find out the noise ordanance for your area.

by Sarah on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:46 AM
I agree. We had some issues with companies doing loud work at 7am in our neighborhood... Found out my town does not have a noise ordinance.

The police will not do anything if there aren't laws in place. You can call and ask what the noise ordinance is, though.

If your town has an ordinance, and the neighbors are in violation, then you can file complaints. Even so, it may take a while to get things resolved... And it may cause really negative relationships with the neighbors. Any chance you can talk to them about it directly? Not the management, but the actual people having the parties? Maybe they would be willing to tone it down if they met you and your adorable baby, and saw that it was an issue for some neighbors...

Quoting mrswillie:

You need to find out the noise ordanance for your area.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Hope you are able to get some help with this...

by Amy on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:13 AM

This is what I'm thinking, too.

Quoting mrswillie:

You need to find out the noise ordanance for your area.

by Jane:) on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:16 AM
If 10 pm is the law then they can do what they want before then. If the place is too party atmosphere for you then yeah you might want to look into eventually finding another place.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by Desiree on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:24 AM

 I'm sorry I don't know

by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:27 AM

After 10 pm call the police. It is frustrating living in apartments

by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:45 PM

I would just find out at the police station what the law is regarding noise, hours, etc, and go from there.

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:50 PM

 Neighbors can drive u batty.  I live in an area of single family homes and have the same problem.  Weekends can be a nightmare and he police aren't too intereted in helping.  Sometimes the music plays until 5 am.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. hugss
  2. BeachLifeMama
  3. SweetLuci
  4. mom2jessnky
  5. mrswillie
  6. proudmommy690
  7. alf2651
  8. Wish2Be
  9. nngmommy83
  10. momofsixangels
  11. momofnatalie
  12. lyrick24
  13. melliburger
  14. exhaustedmother
  15. wandep
  16. brownhoney21
  17. louannwilkins
  18. lilmama31709
  19. lizzig
  20. Tigress22304