Group Home

Can't we be thankful for just one whole day? Just one? **Edit to add pic!**

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:21 PM
  • 56 Replies
1 mom liked this

Once a year, we get together with friends and family members to reflect on all we are thankful for in our lives.  Call me crazy, but I think this is an important day and it sends a strong message to our kids.  I am really bothered by all these Black Friday sales pouring into Thursday.  This is just so wrong.  We sit and say we are thankful for all we have and then excuse ourselves as we go out looking for more "stuff" to accumulate?  How backwards is that?  I mean, Black Friday is bad enough...  it's insane in a lot of places, but whatever.  It is what it is.  But, I am NOT ok with things starting on Thanksgiving.  That is just so off, imo.  I feel bad for those employees who have to work instead of spending time with their families...  because you know the employees are not just showing up at 9PM or whenever the store opens.  They have to be there early to set up, to stock up, to attend last-minute sales meetings.  Sigh.  This is just not what Thanksgiving is supposed to be about.  It's sad to see this holiday totally get turned into something it's not.  This year, stores are opening up at 9...  next thing you know, they'll be opening at 6PM... and then it'll be 3PM... before you know it, stores won't even be closed on Thanksgiving!  Give it some time and that's where things are going to head...

I wish people would protest these changes... and refuse to shop until Friday.  Let's just be thankful for ONE day... when we aren't out accumulating material items and worrying about buying.  This whole crazy buying frenzy that is around the corner is making me really sad for our country.

I can only control myself... and I am definitely not shopping on Thanksgiving.  Anyone else feel the same?

EDITED TO ADD:

Apparently the CEO of JCPenney agrees with me!  KUDOS to JCP for valuing FAMILY TIME over making a quick buck!!!

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GypsiSky
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:29 PM

We never black Friday shop. Not us or our parents. As a business owner as well as a consumer,  I don't have a problem with the stores giving the people what they want. It's up to the consumer to decide to shop or not. If no one wanted to shop, the stores would not venture into opening earlier and earlier.

Threes.Company
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:32 PM

I guess I just hoped that the stores would have more morals and would consider the bigger picture (their employees, for example) instead of worrying so much about making money.  There is plenty of time for shopping all year long.  They do not need to be open that day.  It just makes them seem money-hungry to me.  It's disappointing.  It seems like all morals are going out the window...  whatever we can do to make a quick buck, right?  Sigh.  It's just sad to me.

Quoting GypsiSky:

We never black Friday shop. Not us or our parents. As a business owner as well as a consumer,  I don't have a problem with the stores giving the people what they want. It's up to the consumer to decide to shop or not. If no one wanted to shop, the stores would not venture into opening earlier and earlier.

slw123
by Shawna on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:36 PM
I feel the same and I dont shop at all for the whole weekend.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GypsiSky
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:39 PM

You're right, I do feel for those who may have to work the entire day. I'm sure they miss that time with family and friends. I don't get why people would choose to leave to shop either, but that is exactly why the stores are doing it... Supply and demand.

EbonySnow
by Desiree on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:39 PM

I totally agree with you

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:50 PM
2 moms liked this
Maine state law prohibits retail stores being open on Thanksgiving Day. So here Black Friday sales will not start until midnight, regardless of what the national chain has planned.

I'm glad. Even midnight sales infringe on employees' family time, but at least it's not 8pm... And we are not going out shopping.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Threes.Company
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:58 PM
We need more states to follow suit!

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

Maine state law prohibits retail stores being open on Thanksgiving Day. So here Black Friday sales will not start until midnight, regardless of what the national chain has planned.

I'm glad. Even midnight sales infringe on employees' family time, but at least it's not 8pm... And we are not going out shopping.

Rushn311
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I do think it's wrong that it is on Thanksgiving. Seems every year it's earlier and  earlier. It should be at 5am like it normally was. I do usually partake in it, not sure if I am or not. Waiting to have ads in my hands.

Because of how we celebrate, it doesn't affect our  Thanksgiving.

Threes.Company
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:04 PM
The demand will be the same the next day. People don't need to be given what they want on a constant basis, you know? It's not really a supply and demand issue. I mean, yes, they have items that people want to buy... It's more about patience and respecting families and the national holiday, though. People can place online orders if they really want to shop. They can wait a day for in-store shopping.

Quoting GypsiSky:

You're right, I do feel for those who may have to work the entire day. I'm sure they miss that time with family and friends. I don't get why people would choose to leave to shop either, but that is exactly why the stores are doing it... Supply and demand.

GypsiSky
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:05 PM

I completely agree with you.

Quoting Threes.Company:

The demand will be the same the next day. People don't need to be given what they want on a constant basis, you know? It's not really a supply and demand issue. I mean, yes, they have items that people want to buy... It's more about patience and respecting families and the national holiday, though. People can place online orders if they really want to shop. They can wait a day for in-store shopping.

Quoting GypsiSky:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. SweetLuci
  2. deccaf
  3. Charizma77
  4. Jules_
  5. ceciliam
  6. mom2jessnky