Can't we be thankful for just one whole day? Just one? **Edit to add pic!**

Once a year, we get together with friends and family members to reflect on all we are thankful for in our lives.  Call me crazy, but I think this is an important day and it sends a strong message to our kids.  I am really bothered by all these Black Friday sales pouring into Thursday.  This is just so wrong.  We sit and say we are thankful for all we have and then excuse ourselves as we go out looking for more "stuff" to accumulate?  How backwards is that?  I mean, Black Friday is bad enough...  it's insane in a lot of places, but whatever.  It is what it is.  But, I am NOT ok with things starting on Thanksgiving.  That is just so off, imo.  I feel bad for those employees who have to work instead of spending time with their families...  because you know the employees are not just showing up at 9PM or whenever the store opens.  They have to be there early to set up, to stock up, to attend last-minute sales meetings.  Sigh.  This is just not what Thanksgiving is supposed to be about.  It's sad to see this holiday totally get turned into something it's not.  This year, stores are opening up at 9...  next thing you know, they'll be opening at 6PM... and then it'll be 3PM... before you know it, stores won't even be closed on Thanksgiving!  Give it some time and that's where things are going to head...

I wish people would protest these changes... and refuse to shop until Friday.  Let's just be thankful for ONE day... when we aren't out accumulating material items and worrying about buying.  This whole crazy buying frenzy that is around the corner is making me really sad for our country.

I can only control myself... and I am definitely not shopping on Thanksgiving.  Anyone else feel the same?

EDITED TO ADD:

Apparently the CEO of JCPenney agrees with me!  KUDOS to JCP for valuing FAMILY TIME over making a quick buck!!!

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:21 PM
Replies (51-56):
Samanthamommy
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Very nice!

Teeshann
by Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:15 PM

it is sad. and it annoys me. normally i enjoy black friday. but with them starting earlier, and earlier, and now on thursday (not even black friday anymore. going to have to rename it), i just don't want to go at all.

KristinRox
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Even the walmart flyers for Maine say "12:01".. this is where Im going shopping on friday.

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

Maine state law prohibits retail stores being open on Thanksgiving Day. So here Black Friday sales will not start until midnight, regardless of what the national chain has planned.

I'm glad. Even midnight sales infringe on employees' family time, but at least it's not 8pm... And we are not going out shopping.

JOIN US ON:

ethans_momma06
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 5:36 PM

VERY happy to read this.

kaitybird
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:10 PM

What bothers me about how much we are complaining is the fact that no matter what someone has to work on the HOLIDAY'S not matter which one they are!  Why are we not protesting all the places that HAVE to work!  We have to remember that WE as consumers have pushed retailer's to this!  WE are greedy and this is what most of the public wants.  As for Thanksgiving, to me it is just another holiday.  I do NOT need one day to take thanks or spend that time with family.  You never know when your Thanksgiving will quit coming!  It is the busiest travel time of the year and that is one day you will NOT see me traveling....Of course I am goingto go out and SHOP away that evening since my husband has to go in to work that evening and work his normal hours at his much needed job of protecting the public!  :)  People working on this holiday has been there a LONG time.  I can remember having to work on Thanksgiving because the gas station I worked at didn't close for holiday's!  It only closed down for hurricanes coming through!  :)

I think everyone has an opinion, if you choose not to go out and shop then so be it.  I choose to go out with my daughter and have fun that night.  We have nothing major on our list.  Big things well I will shop online for no big deal to us!  IT is a tradition.  Kind of like us going out for Chinese that day to eat!

onecuteladybug2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 5:46 AM

There is nothing really jumping out at me in any of the ads that would make me deal with crazy people any way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: