Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Health: Doing good is good for you

Posted by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 30 Replies

Last week, we kicked off holiday season with Thanksgiving...and in a few days, Hanukkah will be on us, then Christmas hits. Sure, they call it the season of giving because we tend to exchange presents and good cheer and all that...but it is also the time of year when coat drives, canned food drives, toy drives and all of those other ways we give to others who need a bit of help. 

Think about when you give to others, when you participate in a meal preparation for a shelter or collect some toys for kids who may not be getting anything under the tree. You feel pretty darn good inside, right? You are lifted, you are lighter...did you know you are actually healthier? Scientists have studied the effects of doing good, of volunteering, of connecting with others on a basic level and those that do this get fewer colds. Seriously!

So beyond the great emotional benefits of helping others, your physical well being is boosted. Pretty cool, huh? Makes me wonder how much healthier we would be as a society if we all gave back, not just this time of year, but all year, all of the time?

Describe your best outside-the-box idea to help to others!

ŠiStockphoto.com/ mangostock 

by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:02 AM

The girls make homemade ornaments and we bring them and goodies to a local nursing home

hugss
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:20 AM

We always donate to our charity :)

bether89
by Ruby Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:22 AM

We have donated food and money to a soup kitchen for the homeless.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:48 AM
We help with a quarterly community dinner for kids in need.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:52 AM

We have bought food for a homeless lady. I want to take the kids to help out at a soup kitchen.

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:08 AM

We always donate to something/someone.

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:18 AM

i am always donating to ppl on craigslist, freecycle, or others

gacgbaker
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:58 AM

I was just reading an article about this on one of my other favorite sites!  Some ideas they mentioned was making a meal for someone, buying a tank of gas for someone- one year we handed out gift cards to the local grocery store at our Christmas Eve party and told everyone they were to give it away to someone they thought needed it.  

bwsmommy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 11:19 AM
We will be helping our boys with their food drive at school !
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
fraujones
by Amanda on Nov. 27, 2012 at 11:44 AM

I did a school clothes giveaway on here once in Mom Confessions. It was a good experience. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)