Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Health: Doing good is good for you

Posted by   + Show Post

Last week, we kicked off holiday season with Thanksgiving...and in a few days, Hanukkah will be on us, then Christmas hits. Sure, they call it the season of giving because we tend to exchange presents and good cheer and all that...but it is also the time of year when coat drives, canned food drives, toy drives and all of those other ways we give to others who need a bit of help. 

Think about when you give to others, when you participate in a meal preparation for a shelter or collect some toys for kids who may not be getting anything under the tree. You feel pretty darn good inside, right? You are lifted, you are lighter...did you know you are actually healthier? Scientists have studied the effects of doing good, of volunteering, of connecting with others on a basic level and those that do this get fewer colds. Seriously!

So beyond the great emotional benefits of helping others, your physical well being is boosted. Pretty cool, huh? Makes me wonder how much healthier we would be as a society if we all gave back, not just this time of year, but all year, all of the time?

Describe your best outside-the-box idea to help to others!

ŠiStockphoto.com/ mangostock 

by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Nov. 27, 2012 at 9:26 PM

I crochet toys and drop them off at random places (in a clear plastic bag) with a note that says Take me I'm Yours. And I like to help people who are having a rough time when I can. 

JerseyGirl511
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 12:44 AM

I just donated large bags of clothes last week.

powow65
by kimmy on Nov. 28, 2012 at 5:18 AM
Make blankets!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
outer.banks
by Ruby Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 11:49 AM

DS helps at church. They pick an elderly church member each month and the kids spend time there doing yard work, preparing food, etc.

outer.banks
by Ruby Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Nice!

Quoting lil_mama06:

I crochet toys and drop them off at random places (in a clear plastic bag) with a note that says Take me I'm Yours. And I like to help people who are having a rough time when I can. 

Join us in the North Carolina Moms group!

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Nov. 28, 2012 at 11:58 AM

We do food drives in our areas! coat drive.

SlightlyPerfect
When you find "The Interview" online...
Thursday at 9:25 PM
by Bronze Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I did that too! Over the summer! FedEx actually lost the package, but then they found it.

Quoting fraujones:

I did a school clothes giveaway on here once in Mom Confessions. It was a good experience. 

slightlyperfect

inmybizz
by Gold Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 2:01 PM

We do many things to donate to the community.

brownhoney21
by Ruby Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Donate to the school for kids in need.And provide Christmas for a child. This year my church adopted 10 kids for Christmas.

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 5:21 PM

outside the box?  hmm, i'll have to think about that one.  it's second nature for me to help others but at this moment can't think if i've had any "creative ways" of doing so.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN