Group Home

Edit. Best way to thaw out a turkey?

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:48 PM
  • 30 Replies
Ok so I procrastinated and got my turkey today it was rock solid frozen. We are frying in on Thursday so I has to be 100 % thawed out and dry what Is the fastest but safe way to make sure it is thawed on time?

Ok I found out how and for anyone else in my shoes there are two ways.

From parentdish

How NOT to thaw your turkey: leave it on the counter over night, leave it on the porch, leave it in the trunk of your car. Because I know you're thinking of doing ALL of those things.

Instead, do this: take your turkey out of the freezer, RIGHT NOW, and put it in the sink, breast down; cover it in COLD water, enough to submerge the breast (and yes, your turkey will float! show the the kids, they'll think that's cool). Leave the wrapping on, please. Let the turkey thaw in the sink for 30 minutes for every pound, changing the water every half hour. So a twelve pound turkey needs to be in the cold water bath in your sink for six hours.

Don't want to give up your sink for that long? Okay then -- get out your cooler, that big one that you take tailgating with you every fall. Clean it out and fill it with COLD water; put the turkey in the water, breast down, and close the cooler up. Leave it alone for as long as needed (30 minutes for every pound) but don't change the water. So our 12 pound turkey needs to be in the cooler for six hours.

At the end of the cold water bath, take your turkey out, put it on a shallow tray, to catch any incidental juices, and put it in the refrigerator; by Thursday morning, it will be completely defrosted and ready to cook.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EbonySnow
by Desiree on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:56 PM

not sure

Fields456
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:59 PM
Crap lol

Quoting EbonySnow:

not sure

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alliesmom112
by Sandy on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:04 AM

I thaw mine out in the fridge for a few days before Thanksgiving. Have you checked Food Network? That is where I always go when I have a cooking question  

Fields456
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:05 AM
No but I will go check thanks. Normally that's what I do too I just don't make it in to town till today ugh

Quoting alliesmom112:

I thaw mine out in the fridge for a few days before Thanksgiving. Have you checked Food Network? That is where I always go when I have a cooking question  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:17 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:38 AM

OUrs sat out today & it will again tomorrow
Am sure they both will be ready by Thursday :)

Bradensmommy719
by Anji on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:41 AM
I love you edit. Almost all cases of food poisoning come from your own home. Cold water or the fridge are the best bet so bacteria doesn't start to grow.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fields456
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:47 AM
1 mom liked this
Thanks and that's why I asked I am about to clean out my cooler and the turkey is going in first thing in the morning

Quoting Bradensmommy719:

I love you edit. Almost all cases of food poisoning come from your own home. Cold water or the fridge are the best bet so bacteria doesn't start to grow.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
black.eyeliner
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I put it in a tub of cold water with a brick on top of it. A brick is a very important tool in a professional chefs kitchen.

Most of my birds are never given to us fresh now though. I prefer to be able to bring the birds in whole and break them down right away instead of cooking them whole.

Fields456
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:59 AM
We deep fry it whole outside so it works But yes a brick is important in the kitchen a stoneware pizza cooker or baker works good too

Quoting black.eyeliner:

I put it in a tub of cold water with a brick on top of it. A brick is a very important tool in a professional chefs kitchen.

Most of my birds are never given to us fresh now though. I prefer to be able to bring the birds in whole and break them down right away instead of cooking them whole.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
black.eyeliner
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:02 AM
1 mom liked this

I use the brick for a few things so it is a multi-use tool that I can not live without. Just wrap it in foil and it is a perfect weight. 

Quoting Fields456:

We deep fry it whole outside so it works But yes a brick is important in the kitchen a stoneware pizza cooker or baker works good too

Quoting black.eyeliner:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. deccaf
  2. SweetLuci
  3. egyptian_mommy
  4. mrswillie
  5. TigerofMu
  6. jconney80