Group Home

Must Have Kitchen Gadgets for Holiday Cooking and Baking

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 59 Replies

If you're anything like me, chances are that you will be spending most of your free time in the kitchen this holiday season. Let's face it, 'tis the season for eating! And if you're going to cook, you might as well do it right. And by right, I mean using the right tools for the right jobs.

It's easy to get caught up in kitchen gadgetry. There's a gadget for everything. Have you seen those avocado slicers or quesadilla makers? Really, a good paring knife or skillet will do and cost half the price.

Now is the time to start making things easier, not more complicated. Here are four must have kitchen items for the serious chef.

Kitchen Aid Mixer

All I have to say about the Kitchen Aid mixer is wow. It does everything I could ever imagine and more - bread kneading, cookie mixing, pasta making, sausage linking, food processing, and much more. Of course you'll need various attachments to make this culinary magic happen, but that's the beauty. You can basically tailor make your mixer to your own needs. If you're a baker, invest in the right tools from the beginning. A quick online search can tell you exactly what you'll need. Plus they come in a rainbow of colors. I love the pink one that was made especially for Breast Cancer awareness month. It's available year round.

A Great Set of Knives

There's nothing worse than starting to cut vegetables, or fruit, and realizing that you have a dull knife. Second worst is starting a cooking project only to find out you don't have the right knife for the job. Every good kitchen needs a good set of knives to function properly - steak, paring, carving, butcher, and serrated are the best to have on hand.  

Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls

A good set of stainless steel bowls that nest, one inside the other, is a must have. Use them to mix a meatloaf, knead dough, or combine dry ingredients. Chill a bowl in the fridge then use it to serve a fresh fruit salad.

The Perfect Skillet

You can do a lot with the perfect pan or skillet. I'm old fashioned and still like a good cast iron skillet. You can move it from stovetop to oven in no time flat. The more you use it, the better it works. Think about all the wonders you can do with a non-stick skillet as well.

Moms, what other kitchen appliances or items do you think are necessary in any kitchen?

by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GwenMB
by Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 7:48 AM

I definitely agree that a lot of the gadgets look cool but aren't necessary.

I wouldn't mind a cake ball maker, though, since those are hard to make otherwise.

elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:28 AM

I have never had a stand mixer, just a hand held. Is it really worth the investment?

mrswillie
by CeeCee on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Crock, Mandelin, Stainless steel pots and mixing bowls, electric skillet, stainless steel knives, hand mixer, 

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Nov. 26, 2012 at 8:56 AM

I really need a coffee maker lol

MichelleK41
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 9:08 AM

A chopping block!

ceciliam
by Ruby Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 9:58 AM

A good food processor.

Bob192
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:49 AM

I agree with you about the knives and skillets.  Also, we love our indoor grill!

gacgbaker
by Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 10:54 AM

I love my kitchen aid mixer!  We do so much baking with it!

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:02 AM

I have all the ones you mentioned and I agree!  I also use my ekectric skillet and my George Foreman grill a lot.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:50 AM

A crock pot is a must for me

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. egyptian_mommy
  2. SweetLuci
  3. BeachLifeMama
  4. proudmommy690
  5. Janet
  6. jconney80