Smarter Mom: Pre-Dinner Crafts

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 29 Replies

The hardest part of Thanksgiving with kids is keeping them entertained until the meal is ready. There's usually a long wait between when guests arrive and when the meal is served. For adults, that's precious time visiting with people you probably do not get to see much; for kids, it's "booorrrriiinnnnggg!"

Having a few fun activities for the kids helps keep them busy (which means less whining or running around like crazy people) and eases the boredom factor. The uncle and aunt we spend Thanksgiving with live on a huge wooded lot, so my uncle takes the kids out for a walk in the woods. Giving older kids jobs is also good....they like to help and it's not that hard to stir up stuffing or set the table.

Crafts are fun too: the one in the picture is one my family did. The kids drew and cut out turkeys, and then created a disguise for the turkey so he wouldn't get eaten on Thanksgiving (the green thing is a bush for him to hide behind). Another nice idea is a thankful tree: Put a tree branch in a vase and have kids cut out leaf shapes, then write something they are thankful for on each leaf. This can even serve as a nice centerpiece.

How do you keep kids amused during the wait for dinner?

by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:23 AM
Cute ideas!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
turtle07
by Rhiannon on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:25 AM
Cure. Thanks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Nov. 22, 2012 at 5:05 AM

We usually stay home. So they have their stuff around them...And my kids have always pretty much entertained themselves...

onecuteladybug2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 5:24 AM

Thanks for sharing! We usually have them play outside.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:05 AM
We did craft kits from Oriental Trading Co a few years ago. This year I'm thinking of taking a few games with us.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Teeshann
by Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:21 AM

cute. my kids usually entertain themselves. this year i got them some giant mellissa and doug coloring pads and stickers.

mrswillie
by CeeCee on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:35 AM

We watch the Macy's parade 

bether89
by Ruby Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Cute turkeys!  We usually bring covered dishes and eat pretty quickly after we arrive for Thanksgiving.

lillucky8
by Jen on Nov. 22, 2012 at 6:10 PM
Mine are sick so they just played and lazed around, i cooked, cleaned, did errands..the usual
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaJane
by Jane:) on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:34 PM
That's cute!
Mine are older so it really isn't an issue. My youngest helped me a lot today. He made the deviled eggs almost on his own!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: