Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

food allergies

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:59 PM
  • 40 Replies

Anyone have to deal with food allergies in their family during the holidays?
My 3 year old has a peanut allergy and I quite dislike having to check or ask about everything for any party or gathering we go to but it is for the better. I make a dessert everywhere we go to make sure my child can at least have something.

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bri2011
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:14 PM
When my dd was little I just used to bring from home she cld eat..normally a favorite of hers so she didn't ever mind eating it rather than anything else that had been prepared by the hostess
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetmissy_05
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:16 PM
Yes both my girls have dairy allergies.
lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:25 PM

About a year or so ago my first daughter came down with a honey allergy, so now she has to be very mindful. She can't have corn dogs unless they are homemade cause it's honey batter..She loved corn dogs. And my second daughter's boyfriend (I have 6 daughters) has a peanut,fish,wheat,dairy allergy.  

koolkidsmom
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:28 PM

It's  hard for children to be allergic and not be able to eat what all the other kids are eating.  Hard for the mom to deal with it too.

koolkidsmom
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:29 PM

My son was hyperactive and couldn't have food dyes or additives.  I had to make his lunch everyday.  Hard.

rockinmomnwife
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Dairy is in a lot of stuff, too. I know that has got to be hard.

Quoting sweetmissy_05:

Yes both my girls have dairy allergies.

wandep
by Pam on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Thank goodness my kids don't have food allergies.

jconney80
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:52 PM
Yup. One kid has egg, peanut, milk, tree nut, seafood, mango allergies. Other kid has egg, wheat, seafood, tree nuts, possibly peanut, and avocado allergies. I make everything from scratch at the holidays. It's all egg, dairy, and wheat free! It's not fun to switch to cooking that way but now I love homemade stuff so much better. We wouldn't be able to eat at other peoples houses for the holidays though :'(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:56 PM
My kids are on the autism/ ADHD diet with no dyes, dairy, gluten, preservatives, HFCS,

Quoting koolkidsmom:

My son was hyperactive and couldn't have food dyes or additives.  I had to make his lunch everyday.  Hard.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ballerina.2006
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:04 PM
My son is allergic to dairy, potato, carrot, and rye. My mom is using soy "butter" in the pie and stuffing so ds may have those. The turkey she doesn't use butter so we're okay there. Other items are hit or miss but that's okay.

I was fully prepared to do our own dinner if my family and dhs did not want to play nice. I understand it's hard.. I live it daily but because we were invited then the hostess then is responsible for making food everyone can eat, imo. (We are doing two dinners tomorrow with each family seperate).

For Christmas we luck out because we started a few years ago asking for no candy in stockings so ds won't even miss that. We do breakfast with the inlaws and because mil has different allergies it makes it difficult but I will be bringing food for ds that morning because of his possible beef allergy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN