Group Home

What is 'from scratch'?

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:49 PM
  • 35 Replies
What do you consider something cooked from scratch? How about home made? Is there a difference?

A while back we had a spaghetti sauce discussion and someone said it wasn't homemade if canned tomatoes were used. So I was wondering what popular opinion was :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SweetLuci
by Luci on Nov. 22, 2012 at 9:09 PM

It appears the term "from scratch" can be earliest derived from foot races, followed by other sporting events. Where the starting line was literally scratched onto the ground. There is even mention of it being use as a term in for a golfer who does not have a handicap. Eventually "from scratch" took on the meaning "from nothing". Hence cooking from scratch meaning to start with basic pantry items, and not to use premixed goods.

In my opinion, it doesn't have to mean everything is in it's natural state, otherwise, it would mean, sonsidering spaghetti sauce, that you would have to grow the cow that the meat comes from, and the duram wheat that the pasta is made from.

I think from scratch means using no processed pre-made foods. So no jarred spaghetti sauce.

Homemade literally means anything that is prepared at home,  rather than in a commercial establishment. , . Though there's probably lots of variations, depending on what you're talking about, but when talking about food usually conotes that it's not a premix. Using jarred  sauce and frozen meatballs could theoretically be called home made, though I would think that saying that would be misleading.

MamaJane
by Jane:) on Nov. 22, 2012 at 9:23 PM
That's interesting about 'from scratch'. I've heard people argue that hamburger helper is homemade because they made it at home. On the other hand I feel guilty because my crescent recipe calls for potato flakes.

Quoting SweetLuci:

It appears the term "from scratch" can be earliest derived from foot races, followed by other sporting events. Where the starting line was literally scratched onto the ground. There is even mention of it being use as a term in for a golfer who does not have a handicap. Eventually "from scratch" took on the meaning "from nothing". Hence cooking from scratch meaning to start with basic pantry items, and not to use premixed goods.

In my opinion, it doesn't have to mean everything is in it's natural state, otherwise, it would mean, sonsidering spaghetti sauce, that you would have to grow the cow that the meat comes from, and the duram wheat that the pasta is made from.

I think from scratch means using no processed pre-made foods. So no jarred spaghetti sauce.

Homemade literally means anything that is prepared at home,  rather than in a commercial establishment. , . Though there's probably lots of variations, depending on what you're talking about, but when talking about food usually conotes that it's not a premix. Using jarred  sauce and frozen meatballs could theoretically be called home made, though I would think that saying that would be misleading.

lasombrs
by Sara on Nov. 22, 2012 at 9:28 PM
1 mom liked this

if you put all the ingreients together your self and make something that could be bought whole.

If some of those ingredients are store bought thats cool. Canned tomatoes dont bother me. Are people gonna grind their own flour too instead of using store bought? lol :)

MamaJane
by Jane:) on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:13 PM
Some do! I've actually thought about it but I doubt I will. I don't even like grinding my coffee. Lol

And thank you I like the way you put that. I was thinking about it today when I was making deviled eggs and I put in prepared mustard. 'Did I not make these from scratch?'

Quoting lasombrs:

if you put all the ingreients together your self and make something that could be bought whole.

If some of those ingredients are store bought thats cool. Canned tomatoes dont bother me. Are people gonna grind their own flour too instead of using store bought? lol :)

Apr1l
by Platinum Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 11:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Um I make chili from scratch, the beans are from the can but the beef is from farmers market tomatoes cheese...in other words it not a can of chili ..it doesn't make me a better person...wait yes it does >.o
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AstuteMama
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:15 AM

I would agree with what everyone has said. I consider it not homemade it is quick and easy ready to eat. I make my spaghetti sauce using my own spices along with canned tomatoes, canned tomato sauce, and tomato paste. I also make my chili with three different canned beans, and I through it in the slow cooker with my own spices and meat that I cook.

Pink.Frosting
by Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:22 AM

To me, homemade and from scratch are the same thing.  It means to not use convenience products but "real" food products.  Vegetables, meat, and staples like flour, sugar, and cornmeal.  Not things like stove top or hamburger helper...ick.

powow65
by kimmy on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:43 AM
Mash potatoes, ..... Can't think.... Still tired.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:44 AM

I agree.There really is no difference.

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:53 AM
Hmm I never stopped to think of what I say until now lol.
I consider from scratch to be when I take stuff out of our garden and only use it to make something.
Everything else is homemade to me. Even using a bag of dried beans makes it homemade.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. hugss
  2. BeachLifeMama
  3. SweetLuci
  4. mom2jessnky
  5. mrswillie
  6. proudmommy690