Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Real vs. Faux

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 53 Replies

I am a sucker for Christmas trees. I love them, love them, love them! I am partial to the real vs. faux variety. As far as I'm concerned, it just doesn't feel like Christmas in my home if I don't get a real Christmas tree and I'll tell you why.

We always had a real tree for the holidays when I was growing up (well, almost always). I'm a city girl so it's not like we ever went to chop down our own tree. No, it was more like we went to a paved parking lot that had been set up with a pop-up Christmas tree vendor. Oh, I remember the excitement of going to pick out our tree. I had very set criteria.

• It had to be bigger than me.
  • It had to be wide, no skinny trees for me.
  • It had to look good from all sides.

We'd bring that tree home and my mom would pretty much let me decorate it however I wanted. The sight of it, the smell of it, the joy of it made me feel happy. To be honest, it didn't much matter what went under the tree. Our gifts were always modest and I hardly remember any of them, but I remember the trees, the beautiful trees. There were years with tinsel and years without. There were years with flocking, but most had not.

Then there was the year when it seemed like Christmas wouldn't come. It was a sad and difficult time that felt sadder and more difficult because it was happening during the holidays. I was still impossibly young, but somehow I knew not to ask when we were going to get our Christmas tree. I didn't care that there would be no presents, but it broke my heart that there would be no tree. We were lucky, Christmas did come that year. A friend of the family, who lived across the street, came over one day and set up an artificial Christmas tree on a tabletop and surrounded it with gifts that she had bought for all of us. That year she was Santa Claus.

Maybe I'm biased against faux trees because they remind me of a particularly difficult time. Or maybe I'm partial to real trees because they remind me of so many good times. Whether you like your trees real or faux, I hope you feel much joy this season.

Do you have a preference for real or faux Christmas trees?

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:01 AM

We have a fake tree but would love a real tree.I wouldnt even mind the needles on the floor.Lol.Love the smell of a real tree

4kidz916
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:09 AM

I prefer real trees but it's such a waste to cut them down then throw them out so for the past several years I've been using an artificial one.  Mine has to be big and wide too.  I don't like skinny Christmas trees. 

arpazia
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:14 AM
We prefer real:)
We have both this year, a white one in the the living room and our real one in dh living area...thingy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
natesmom1228
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:16 AM
Fake
elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:19 AM
I prefer real, but a few years ago it just became too difficult to deal with them, so we have fake. I thought it was so sad that I sad something about a candle that smelled like a Christmas tree, amd my 6 y/o great granddaughter sad "Christmas trees don't smell"
chrissysnow22
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:35 AM
I feel the same way. I only do real trees. I am green all year long and then mess it up at the end of the year. I love real trees.
goddess99
by Michelle on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:49 AM
I like fake trees.
BabyTeki
by Nikki on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:25 AM
I'm partial to fake. That's pretty much all we've had. Is love to pick one out with the kids when they get older maybe. But for now I'm sticking with fake
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GwenMB
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:29 AM

I like real trees - but they are so much more work to get, set up & take care of!  We have a faux Christmas tree now.  I do have a real wreath, although it hanging on our front door so we don't even get the smell of pine inside.

ceciliam
by Ruby Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:59 AM

I love real but we do fake.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)