Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Christmas Craft

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 57 Replies
One of the things I enjoy most about being a mother is sitting at the kitchen table with my children and doing a craft. I like to do crafts with each of my children, one at a time, that way I get quality time with each child and I know they understand the instructions. 

One of the things I enjoy most about being a mother is sitting at the kitchen table with my children and doing a craft. I like to do crafts with each of my children, one at a time, that way I get quality time with each child and I know they understand the instructions. Whenever there is a holiday, of course, the craft options are endless. The Christmas crafts are the most fun for my children and me! 

The cutest craft that I like to make each year is reindeer made of my children's faces. I like to save this one because it is made with their hands so each year we can see the growth because the reindeer gets larger. To make this you will need white construction paper, red construction paper, brown paint, red paint or red pom poms, paint brush, glue, and a picture of your child.

First, paint both your children's' hands with brown paint and place them gently on the paper. Let them dry completely and then cut them out. Glue the handprint on back of the picture so it looks like your child has antlers. You then glue the picture down on a red piece of construction paper and either glue your red pom pom, or paint your red nose on top of the existing nose. Your craft is now complete and ready to enjoy.

Christmas crafts like this also make wonderful gifts. My son, Landin, is very into making crafts and doing it himself. Last year I started having my children make homemade gifts for their grandparents and they loved it!  Grandma and grandpa love hanging ornaments on their tree that were made by their grand kids, or decorating their house with a craft, like the reindeer. Receiving another store-bought gift for Christmas is nice but not as meaningful.

When making crafts I have learned that it definitely runs more smoothly when everything is out and ready. The kids get impatient if they have to wait for you to cut, or get out the materials. I usually gather everything the night before and have it ready. It is a great way to engage them in asking questions about what we are doing too. Not to mention, they get excited and more anxious to do the craft. We also plan out who goes first.  As I mentioned, I like the one-on-one time with each child. This way when it is time to get started there is no argument on who goes first. For example, Mackie knows her craft gets done while Landin is in school, Landin does his craft while Mackie naps, and Calvin does his somewhere in between, because he is still a baby he does not protest going last.

What are your thoughts on homemade crafts for gifts?

by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Nov. 28, 2012 at 9:06 AM

The reindeer with the child's face is really cute! We have done some ornaments for family in the past as gifts from my son. He's too little to buy presents for everyone, and I like him to be involved in the giving. I think it's really nice.

mrswillie
by CeeCee on Nov. 28, 2012 at 9:26 AM
I love the idea.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
arpazia
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 9:42 AM
That is so cute!
We aren't a craft house, I tried to get ds into it, he'd rather not:(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Nov. 28, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Very cute. We love home made stuff!

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Nov. 28, 2012 at 12:22 PM

We love doing crafts.  My dd and I are making several homemade gifts this year.

dusky_rose
by Sue on Nov. 28, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Those are really cute! I love giving homemade gifts like that.

Sue ~ Head Admin
~ D.V. Survivor/Admin

GwenMB
by Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 1:39 PM

We went to an event last night where kids could make crafts.  They did enjoy it, although they aren't always into doing crafts.

Crafts do make fun gifts for grandparents.  I think we will send the calendars the boys made to my parents & my grandma.

I don't often do crafts with my boys since they haven't always been that interested.  I should start doing more, though.

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Nov. 28, 2012 at 2:18 PM

We love making homemade gifts! 

MichelleK41
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 5:58 PM

One Christmas I cross stitched all my families gifts, excluding the kiddos. =)

KristinRox
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Pinterest is FULL of awesome crafts that you can do, that are so nice, and would make most people quite happy for Christmas.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)