Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Mom: Starting a Giving Tradition

Posted by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 29 Replies

As parents, we spend a lot of time...and money!...thinking about gifts for our children for the holidays. But it's a good idea to teach them about the spirit of giving at the holidays as well. Whether it's choosing gifts for you or giving to a charity, this is a perfect time of year to teach them the importance of giving as well as getting.

I remember when I was a kid taking some of my allowance and heading down to the corner store to buy stuff for my parents. I even did extra chores to have money to buy gifts. I was soooo proud of that bottle of cheap aftershave for my dad and those measuring spoons for my mom. That's certainly something you could help your kids do. Many schools also have "Santa shops" where parents donate items and kids can buy them as gifts for a dollar or two.

Giving to people in need is also important. I have my kids put our money in the Salvation Army buckets and explain why we're doing it; I have also been wanting to adopt a family through a local charity and have my kids help choose gifts for the other family's children. This time of year they can get a bad case of the "gimmes" and showing them that generosity matters is a good antidote to that, I think.

How do you encourage giving in your children?

by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamivon2
by Sandra on Nov. 29, 2012 at 12:20 AM

I always do a little something troughout the year.. donating some food, or giving someone some money even if its just 5 bucks.. or help someone paying for their groceries.. just small things..

hugss
Take Some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group. :)
Yesterday at 11:45 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 12:35 AM

They know we give to others & we remind them how fortunate we are :)

EbonySnow
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 2:14 AM

my DD is very giving but she is only 3 so charity is a hard concept yet

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Nov. 29, 2012 at 8:20 AM

My kids helped raise $148 this summer for alzheimers.We donate clothing to the salvation army and we also have been getting help for a homeless man and his dog.

elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 8:52 AM

We are doing shoeboxes, and 2 kids her age from the angel tree at church. So far she is not enjoying her participation as much as I had hoped, but I guess it's an ongoing process. I think I can accomplish a lot just by setting a good example.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Nov. 29, 2012 at 9:11 AM
We put money in the Salvation Army bucket last night and talked about why. He used some of his own money towards our Operation Christmas Child shoebox. And the gift exchange with my in-laws includes kids, so he'll have to choose a gift for one person.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
fraujones
by Amanda on Nov. 29, 2012 at 9:35 AM

DH always takes our daughter to pick our something for Toys for Tots. 

WinterRose12
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 9:39 AM

We showed our children when they were much younger how to help out those in need and I am praying that they remember that when they are older !!!

bwsmommy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 10:04 AM

We do a lot of giving through different projects at school .. right now our biggest our the food drives and the 4H giving project .

Juniper53098
by June on Nov. 29, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Right now, the giving that my younger children learn consistently, is giving to church.  They always have money to put in the collection plate.

They also see me give of my time and talents.  They help me out when they can.  I volunteer with their school, running the Labels for Education program.  I sing in the choir.  I am on the Relay for Life committee.  I am the treasurer for a local civic organization.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN