Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Decorating for Saint Nicholas' Day/A Wreath for Saint Nicholas' Day

Posted by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 7:49 AM
  • 8 Replies

Decoration for Saint Nicholas Day

By Adelma Greinier Simmons

Arrangement in wooden shoe

Our symbol for the day is a simple wooden shoe, a sabot brought long ago from Holland. Instead of straw for the Bishop's horse, we place in it an arrangement of broom for Black Peter's switches; mugwort, the herb for foot-sore travelers who trudged behind the Saint; teasel for the cloth merchants whose goods Saint Nicholas protected on long sea voyages, and yellow tansy and yarrow to represent the bags of gold.

From A Merry Christmas Herbal by Adelma Grenier Simmons, William Morrow, 1968, p. 74

A Wreath for St. Nicholas Day

by Adelma Grenier Simmons from A Year in Wreaths

Wreath
Wreath
St. Nicholas Day Wreath
Photos: George Gregory Wieser
from
 A Year in Wreaths

St. Nicholas day is a holiday for those with a sweet tooth. Beautiful cookie molds are used for the famous springerle, or anise cake and baked goods abound. Traditionally, yellow blossoms, such as yarrow or tansy, representing the famous bags of gold that this . . . saint distributed to the poor, were symbolic of the holiday and Dutch children would find gold pieces in their shoes [in the] morning.

A St. Nicholas wreath may be made with evergreens or artemisia as a base. Sweet Annie is an appropriate choice, because its gold color is symbolic of the day. You can find cookie molds in a variety of interesting shapes, which make fine decorations for this wreath. To finish, wire bunches of cinnamon sticks and nutmeg, or other spices commonly used to flavor holiday treats.

by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 7:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Nov. 29, 2012 at 7:54 AM
I've never tried making my own wreath.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Nov. 29, 2012 at 7:57 AM

My ds makes them out of leftover tree pieces he gets free at the Christmas tree lots

ashleymosq
by Ruby Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 10:40 AM

I know it's not the same, but my DH made our Christmas wreath last year. It turned out so much better than a bought one. You should try it hehe.

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

I've never tried making my own wreath.

ashleymosq
by Ruby Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 10:41 AM

That is so cool. 

Quoting momofsixangels:

My ds makes them out of leftover tree pieces he gets free at the Christmas tree lots

EbonySnow
by Desiree on Nov. 29, 2012 at 1:11 PM

pretty

ashleymosq
by Ruby Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 5:05 PM

It is.

Quoting EbonySnow:

pretty

wandep
by Pam on Nov. 29, 2012 at 5:37 PM

cool thanks

ashleymosq
by Ruby Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 6:07 PM

NP

Quoting wandep:

cool thanks

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)