Baking and Gifting - How to Surprise Friends and Family with Sweet Treats

By christina f on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:00 AM

For me, the holidays are all about baking. I love trying out tons of new recipes and making dozens of new treats through out the season.  But, what to do with all this baking goodness? I like to share the wealth, of course. Goodie baskets are great gifts not only for family members, but also for those hard to shop for people like teachers, neighbors, co-workers and more.

Here are a few ideas on how to group baked goods as gifts:

Pies - There's nothing like giving someone a whole pie, fresh from the oven and still a little warm.

Breads - Slice freshly baked breads and arrange them on a platter. Try ginger, pumpkin, banana, or lemon poppy seed bread. Mix them together to make a variety tray, or stick to one flavor if you know it's someone's absolute favorite.

Cookies - When I bake cookies, my recipes usually yield two dozen. I divide these into groups, so each recipient gets a good taste of everything I baked that year. You can really get creative in packaging cookies. That's why they are my most favorite holiday treat.

Bars - Pecan, pumpkin, lemon, or brownie bars are great for stacking and sharing. You can cut them as big or as small as you want. Mini brownie and blondie bites are always a big hit at the office. They'll be gone before lunchtime.

Oven Baked Treats - Whether you're making homemade trail mix, granola, or party mix, scooping up the delicious treat and sealing it off with a bow in a pretty holiday treat bag makes a great gift. 

Delicious goodies aside, packaging is also a very important aspect to holiday gift giving, so don't forget to make these packages as festive as possible. Here are a few ideas:

• Take out containers in holiday colors, available at craft stores
  • Holiday tins
  • Use holiday versions of your favorite plastic wraps, tin foils, bags and more.
  • Disposable baking tins in holiday inspired designs
  • Festive cupcake wrappers
  • Red or green baking platters
  • Don't forget the tissue paper or brightly colored ribbons

I also like to attach a homemade card with the recipe, so that my friends can duplicate the recipe later on.

Moms, what kinds of treats do you like to share during the holiday season?

christina f About :
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
  • MichelleK41
  • by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 7:48 AM
  • Our kiddos like to make and share the white choc. covered pretzels. Of course they mix in milk choc. as well and sometimes add crushed mints. =)

• Quote Reply
  • arpazia
  • by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:45 AM
  • Crushed mints, thank you for that idea!

Quoting MichelleK41:

Our kiddos like to make and share the white choc. covered pretzels. Of course they mix in milk choc. as well and sometimes add crushed mints. =)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
  • Quote Reply
  • natesmom1228
  • by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:37 AM
  • I make 20 different kinds of cookies and I put them on pretty platters and give them out to my neighbors and take a tray to work.

• Quote Reply
  • GwenMB
  • by Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:42 AM
  • I like the idea of doing some kind of trail or Chex mix.  Maybe I'll do that for my sons' teachers.

Otherwise, I don't do Christmas baking to give away except for to people I know are wheat/gluten free.  Since I'm Celiac & need to do only gluten free baking in my kitchen (to reduce cross contamination concerns), and since gluten free flours are expensive, I don't want to "waste" my expensive ingredients on people who don't need them.  I do bake for people who need gluten free, though!

• Quote Reply
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: