Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baking and Gifting - How to Surprise Friends and Family with Sweet Treats

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 55 Replies

For me, the holidays are all about baking. I love trying out tons of new recipes and making dozens of new treats through out the season.  But, what to do with all this baking goodness? I like to share the wealth, of course. Goodie baskets are great gifts not only for family members, but also for those hard to shop for people like teachers, neighbors, co-workers and more.

Here are a few ideas on how to group baked goods as gifts:

Pies - There's nothing like giving someone a whole pie, fresh from the oven and still a little warm.

Breads - Slice freshly baked breads and arrange them on a platter. Try ginger, pumpkin, banana, or lemon poppy seed bread. Mix them together to make a variety tray, or stick to one flavor if you know it's someone's absolute favorite.

Cookies - When I bake cookies, my recipes usually yield two dozen. I divide these into groups, so each recipient gets a good taste of everything I baked that year. You can really get creative in packaging cookies. That's why they are my most favorite holiday treat.

Bars - Pecan, pumpkin, lemon, or brownie bars are great for stacking and sharing. You can cut them as big or as small as you want. Mini brownie and blondie bites are always a big hit at the office. They'll be gone before lunchtime.

Oven Baked Treats - Whether you're making homemade trail mix, granola, or party mix, scooping up the delicious treat and sealing it off with a bow in a pretty holiday treat bag makes a great gift. 

Delicious goodies aside, packaging is also a very important aspect to holiday gift giving, so don't forget to make these packages as festive as possible. Here are a few ideas:

• Take out containers in holiday colors, available at craft stores
  • Holiday tins
  • Use holiday versions of your favorite plastic wraps, tin foils, bags and more.
  • Disposable baking tins in holiday inspired designs
  • Festive cupcake wrappers
  • Red or green baking platters
  • Don't forget the tissue paper or brightly colored ribbons

I also like to attach a homemade card with the recipe, so that my friends can duplicate the recipe later on.

Moms, what kinds of treats do you like to share during the holiday season?

by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MichelleK41
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 7:48 AM

Our kiddos like to make and share the white choc. covered pretzels. Of course they mix in milk choc. as well and sometimes add crushed mints. =)

4kidz916
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:01 AM

I'm making chocolate chex mix this year and putting it in decorated Mason Jars. 

arpazia
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:45 AM
Crushed mints, thank you for that idea!

Quoting MichelleK41:

Our kiddos like to make and share the white choc. covered pretzels. Of course they mix in milk choc. as well and sometimes add crushed mints. =)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:02 AM

I am making candy this year and already have my cute tins to put them in for gift giving.

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:18 AM

WE love to bake!

TheBabyFactory4
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:29 AM
Im not a big baker but i found a cinnamon roll cookie recipe that Im gonna bake for my family
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheBabyFactory4
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:30 AM
That's a good easy idea

Quoting 4kidz916:

I'm making chocolate chex mix this year and putting it in decorated Mason Jars. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
natesmom1228
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:37 AM

I make 20 different kinds of cookies and I put them on pretty platters and give them out to my neighbors and take a tray to work.

GwenMB
by Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:42 AM

I like the idea of doing some kind of trail or Chex mix.  Maybe I'll do that for my sons' teachers.

Otherwise, I don't do Christmas baking to give away except for to people I know are wheat/gluten free.  Since I'm Celiac & need to do only gluten free baking in my kitchen (to reduce cross contamination concerns), and since gluten free flours are expensive, I don't want to "waste" my expensive ingredients on people who don't need them.  I do bake for people who need gluten free, though!

.Angelica.
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:32 AM

i've never baked treats for anyone for the holiday but it could be fun!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN