Group Home

I believe it was wed.. a 3rd grader from my neighborhood rings my doorbell.. His mom isnt home and he doesnt know where she is...!! He has 2 older sisters.. they have school till about 330pm and will be riding the same bus home.. they are 13 and 15 ( or 15 and 17 dont remember) I dont really know the kid nor his family...Well I did let him inside but  sent him home once the sisters came home..I told him if they needed anything come back up here..!!

So guess what. He is here again.. this time his mom is at work.. I feel sorry for the child but geeze I am not his go to person when mommy isnt home.. I told him as nicely as I could that he needs to let his mom know that she needs to find other arrangements for him after school..

Like I said I dont know his mom, never met this person in my life...

If she would come to my house talk to me and ask if he can stay till his sisters get home ok different story..

I am being unreasonable....

by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 3:08 PM
Replies (11-20):
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Nov. 30, 2012 at 5:18 PM

I would talk to the mom

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Nov. 30, 2012 at 5:48 PM
We have a kid like this in our neighborhood, only he's 6. I find the whole situation appalling. Sometimes he will come over and play with my son, and as long as he follows my house rules I allow it.

But one day he knocked on my door, I was the only one home, and told me that he was bored. Really? I do feel sorry for him, and we go out of our way to be kind, but my house is neither a babysitting center nor an entertainment center... :-\

Bottom line, it's entirely appropriate to set boundaries for your own home. It's just a shame that some people don't provide better care for their kids.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaJane
by Jane:) on Nov. 30, 2012 at 5:58 PM
I agree with this. My 3rd grader I would not leave alone but when my oldest was in 3 rd grade, yes. I didn't but she would have been fine if I did.

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Adding on: The only alarming thing to me is that he's wandering around to other people's houses.  It's not really an issue to me if he's home alone for 20 minutes INSIDE THE HOUSE. But wandering around, hitting up strangers? That's alarming. Not that you're a psycho, but you could be! You could have a skin suit in your basement for all that mom knows.

So really my issue is that the kid is wandering around. My 4th grader walks home from school, lets herself in and starts her homework. She's alone for MAYBE 5 minutes, but I know she'd be fine for much much longer than that, because she's in the house!

lullabylily
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 6:04 PM
I would try to find this kids home and see his Mom. This kid can not just go hitting random stranger house and get in (even if he is invited in), him and his parents should know that this is dangerous. If it were me, I can not let him in again to my house. I would just call the police
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dream528
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 7:30 PM

I think the mom should be aware of the fact that her child is wandering to stranger's homes after school. She may not care, but she should know.

EbonySnow
by Desiree on Nov. 30, 2012 at 8:06 PM

thats not unreasonable at all

DelilahsMom4108
by Jeni on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:51 PM
Sounds sketchy... I wouldn't want to get involved but I'd feel guilty if he went to another neighbor and something bad happened
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Nov. 30, 2012 at 11:48 PM
This is a good point, maybe she thinks he's going straight home. Do you know where they live, could you swing by and just touch base with her?

Quoting dream528:

I think the mom should be aware of the fact that her child is wandering to stranger's homes after school. She may not care, but she should know.

Juniper53098
by June on Nov. 30, 2012 at 11:55 PM

sad

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 12:52 PM

i concure!

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Adding on: The only alarming thing to me is that he's wandering around to other people's houses.  It's not really an issue to me if he's home alone for 20 minutes INSIDE THE HOUSE. But wandering around, hitting up strangers? That's alarming. Not that you're a psycho, but you could be! You could have a skin suit in your basement for all that mom knows.

So really my issue is that the kid is wandering around. My 4th grader walks home from school, lets herself in and starts her homework. She's alone for MAYBE 5 minutes, but I know she'd be fine for much much longer than that, because she's in the house!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. deccaf
  2. SweetLuci
  3. egyptian_mommy
  4. mrswillie
  5. TigerofMu
  6. jconney80