Smarter Living: Juggling time at holidays

Posted by   + Show Post

We've just begun December and I'm already feeling it. It being Holiday Burnout. School fests, office parties, the search (online and off) for gifts, getting that holiday photo taken...all while doing our normal Life Stuff.  Holiday Burn Out, ladies. I bet your kids will start to show signs of it too. But there is a remedy.

Hubbawubba writes: I feel every December we get so busy with people visiting and holiday gatherings, that we don't really have time to connect or recharge or be together and concentrate on what the holidays are all about: family, love, peace.  I'm definitely not feeling peaceful. I'm feeling rushed. I'm trying to cut back on what we do, but that doesn't seem to be working. Any ideas?

When the ho ho ho jolliness turns to a frazzled rush, and you find yourself scurrying around faster than a flying reindeer on Red Bull, it's time to break out the Time Manipulator 2000. What? You don't have one? Right, I don't either. Since we can't alter time (just yet), we have to find ways to seem like we do.

-- Don't pack too much into one day. It's Sunday: you have two holiday parties, a list a mile long of presents to order online, and two dozen holiday cookies to bake for the school bake sale tomorrow. That is too much. Break that list into a few you do each day and set a time limit for how long you spend at each party.

-- Keep it simple. Whether it is buying premade cookie dough (or store-made cookies) or deciding this year, you are just going to get everyone's gift at Barnes and Noble that wraps and ships it for you for free, simplify your tasks.

-- Look at the calendar and block off Nothing Days. At least two or three days, have nothing planned. Even if it means you say no to something, that day of nothing can turn into something pretty special for your family...an impromptu skating trip, a lazy day of watching movies and eating popcorn on the couch and snuggling. 

-- Keep the weekly routine going as much as possible. If you find your family's weekends are jammed with activities and festive functions already, then keep the weekday routine clear and the same ol', same ol'. This helps everyone from feeling the burnout.

How do you juggle the crazy holiday schedule?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ ASergieiev

by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-32):
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:13 AM

great tips!

figlet440
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:23 AM

somehow I wasn't thinking and had both my kids around the holiday season--with the birthdays, it gets really crazy!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: