Group Home

Smarter Health: Tips so you don’t tip the holiday scale!

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 42 Replies

I've already had two holiday parties and am heading to another one this weekend...all in the first week of December. Parties mean two things: first, fun times with friends and family and second, yummy food and drink.

You can read article after article about gaining those holiday pounds (why do we think so many New Year's Resolutions involve hitting the gym and better diets?). It's a common problem for a lot of us around this time of year. Luckily, there are also hints and tips on how to combat that urge to eat more than we should during these festive occasions. Here are a few I rounded up:

-- Watch what you eat during the rest of the day. Now, don't not eat, as then when you arrive, you will definitely inhale way more appetizers than you should, but skip the pizza lunch and opt for a salad before that holiday cocktail party at the office.

-- Stay well hydrated. Often when we think we are hungry, we are actually just thirsty. Add in salty foods and alcohol, both of which you may have more of these days, and your body needs some H2O stat.

-- Choose wisely. I dig those "Eat This, Not That" books and advice. They give you a practical guideline for how to navigate those buffet tables and holiday treats without going hungry. For example, opt for shrimp cocktail over the appetizer meatballs, white turkey meat over dark meat, a bite or two of regular chocolate over candy canes, and champagne rather than egg nog.

-- Use a smaller appetizer plate. Bypass the large dinner plates and "fool" yourself into having a big portion. You will be surprised how full you will be just eating what is on that smaller plate.

-- Pick your vice. Let's say you know you have a sweet tooth, so definitely have a slice of pie and try the chocolate truffles, but skip the mashed potatoes and drink water instead of egg nog. Perhaps you love to drink champagne to celebrate the holidays. Then sip your bubbly, but bypass the dessert table. Stick to that one "bad food" and always still remember moderation is key.

Do you gain weight during the holidays? How do you stay on a healthy track with all of the festive food around?

©iStockphoto.com/ Daneger

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rain2Rinse
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:11 AM
I have an awesome trick to keep me from gaining weight this year. Morning sickness! :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wandep
by Pam on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:22 AM

yes, I weigh weekly at weight watchers.

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:49 AM
These are some good tips... Especially about not overeating earlier in the day and using a smaller plate. Thanks!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Apr1l
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:13 AM
I def do the pick your vice
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lasombrs
by Sara on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:16 AM

usually but I also tend to be pregnant lol!! Last few anyway. Hopefully this year i dont :P

momma-flynn
by Greta on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:16 AM
I did really good last year. I stuck to lighter meals at home & at parties I kept the portions small so I could try everything I wanted.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fraujones
by Amanda on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Right now I'm breastfeeding and I'm not gaining. I'm thinner than I've been in years. 

GypsiSky
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:05 AM

I'm a raw vegan (fruitarian), that doesn't change because of holidays and special occasions... So I don't gain weight because of food choices (anymore, lol)

MamaJane
by Jane:) on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:29 AM
Oh no!

Quoting Rain2Rinse:

I have an awesome trick to keep me from gaining weight this year. Morning sickness! :(
MamaJane
by Jane:) on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:31 AM
I really don't gain weight
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. letstalk747
  2. lizzig
  3. Jukebox_Jenny
  4. powow65
  5. alf2651
  6. Angela4boys