Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gifts From Strangers

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 57 Replies

It was a grey, foggy San Francisco morning. I had just dropped off my eldest daughter at preschool. I was walking home where my husband and youngest daughter were waiting. I was in no rush. My mood was less than cheerful.  Nothing was wrong, but I was feeling worn out and tired, wondering how I would make it through the day when I was already so tired. I walked my usual route home and at a familiar corner, I saw something unfamiliar in a stranger's familiar yard that made me smile and cheered me up.

It was Yoda wearing Santa's hat and holding a lightsaber. Now, I'm not even a Star Wars fan, but I am a fan of humor and obviously the stranger who decorated this front yard that I pass by all the time has a sense of humor. So I stopped, took a picture of Yoda, felt some cheer, and forgot that I was tired. Chances are, I'll never meet the stranger responsible for lifting my spirits that day, but that doesn't mean I can't be grateful. How nice of this person to gift me with a little holiday cheer and humor.

I've always been grateful for the countless strangers that take the time to decorate the outside of their homes for the holidays. It's a lot of work and still they do it and I like to think that they do it for me. These strangers have been making my holidays memorable for as long as I can remember.

I will never forget going for drives as a child to the neighborhoods that went all out for the holidays, the neighborhoods that seemed to require that all residents participate in an elaborate outdoor holiday extravaganza. I'm so excited about sharing this tradition with my daughters. I'm hoping they will get just as excited as I still do.

So thank you strangers! Thank you for the lights. Thank you for the blow up snowmen. Thank you for climbing up on your roofs to place reindeers, sleds, and Santas. Thank you for incurring higher utility bills. Thank you for taking the time to share some joy with any and all strangers who are lucky enough to see your efforts. Please don't stop. Your gifts do not go unnoticed, I love them and I know that I am not alone.

Are you one of the strangers that I'm grateful for? Do you decorate the outside of your home for the holidays?

by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 7:29 AM

i dont really decorate outside but do love driving and seeing others!

lasombrs
by Sara on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:02 AM

we do a few small things but cant afford to go all out. they cheer me up to though :)

PoehlerBear1983
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:03 AM
We are not allowed to decorate outside where i live
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Karissa_ruiz
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:20 AM
I haven't decorated the outside yet but I will when we get a place (we live w/ family at the moment)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
natesmom1228
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:47 AM

I do decorate outside. I have a reindeer with a carriage and a run way of lights.

cara124
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:00 AM

I like you love love the holiday lights and the effort that goes into putting them up every year ! Sadly I only put out a small christmas train each year ... I'm not brave enough to climb on the roof LOL ....

arpazia
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:02 AM
We decorate everywhere! No lights this year out front though
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:10 AM

That is funny. No we don't decorate outside.

fraujones
by Amanda on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:23 AM

I haven't yet this year but I do want to put some up. 

Leelee1008
by Alicia on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:31 AM

I do decorate the outside of my  home, we were putting up the rest of the stuff it was night and we had cars just slow down to look. we were one of the 1st few to put things up in the neighborhood, it makes me happy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)