Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Christmas Eve Gift Giving

Posted by   + Show Post

Gift giving

Christmas presents sit underneath a Christmas tree. Many trace the custom of giving gifts to one another to the Magi who brought gifts for the Christ child in themanger.

During the Reformation in 16th–17th century Europe, many Protestants changed the gift bringer to the Christ Child or Christkindl, and the date of giving gifts changed from December 6 to Christmas Eve.[20] It is the night when Santa Claus makes his rounds delivering gifts to good children.

In the Czech Republic, SlovakiaCroatia and Hungary, where St. Nicholas (sv. Mikuláš/szent Mikulás) gives his sweet gifts on December 6, the Christmas gift-giver is the Child Jesus (Ježíšekin Czech, Jézuska in Hungarian, Ježiško in Slovak and Isusek in Croatian).[21]

In most parts of Germany, Austria, and Switzerland, presents are traditionally exchanged in the evening of December 24. Children are commonly told that presents were brought either by theChristkind (German for: Christchild),[22] or the Weihnachtsmann (German name of Santa Claus). Both leave the gifts, but are in most families not seen doing so.

In Finland, Joulupukki, and in Sweden Jultomten, personally meets children and gives presents in the evening of Christmas Eve.[23][24]

In NetherlandsArgentinaAustriaDenmarkEstoniaFinlandGermanyHungarySlovakiaIcelandLatviaNorwayPolandPortugalQuebecRomaniaUruguay, and Sweden, Christmas presents are opened mostly on the evening of the 24th, – this is also the tradition among the British Royal Family, due to their mainly German ancestry[25] – while in Italy, the United States, the United Kingdom, IrelandEnglish CanadaSouth AfricaNew Zealand and Australia, this occurs mostly on the morning of Christmas Day.

In other Latin American countries, people stay awake until midnight, when they open the presents.

In Spain, gifts are traditionally opened on the morning of January 6, Epiphany day ("Día de Los Tres Reyes Magos"),[26] though in some other countries, like Argentina and Uruguay, people receive presents both around Christmas and on the morning of Epiphany day.

In the Netherlands they also celebrate Sinterklaas on December 5.[27]

by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 5:02 AM
Replies (21-30):
ashleymosq
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:48 AM

NP

Quoting Hannahsmommy816:

thanks for the background information!

ashleymosq
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Oh that sounds like fun.

Quoting Mami2oneboy:

Yep that's true, when I was little I opened some gifts on Christmas eve (cause its my birthday) and we would stay up til midnight and open the rest, it was so fun lol, my son is to little to stay up late right now but I hope we can do it when he's a little older.

Fields456
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:50 AM
Cool.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. 

MamaJane
by Jane:) on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:02 PM
We always opened presents on Christmas Eve when I was growing up and now we take our family to my moms on Christmas Eve. But it was from our background or anything like that. It was because we always left at like 4 am on Christmas morning to make the 6 hr drive to my grandmas:)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:39 PM
We usually do the same.

Quoting ashleymosq:

We let the girls open one thing on Christmas Eve.

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

My family has a whole joke about Christmas eve gifts... But we really wait until Christmas day to exchange presents.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ashleymosq
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 1:02 PM

NP

Quoting lil_mama06:

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. 

ashleymosq
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Oh wow that is a big drive. Growing up my grandmother lived right across the road lol. Now my parents live right across the driveway. So no major driving during the holidays. We don't spend any time with DH's parents and that is his choice and I am happy to go along with it lol.

Quoting MamaJane:

We always opened presents on Christmas Eve when I was growing up and now we take our family to my moms on Christmas Eve. But it was from our background or anything like that. It was because we always left at like 4 am on Christmas morning to make the 6 hr drive to my grandmas:)

mommybug77
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:42 PM
Dh is Polish, we open all our gifts on the 24th.
ashleymosq
by Ruby Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:44 PM

We usually just do one. 

Quoting mommybug77:

Dh is Polish, we open all our gifts on the 24th.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN