The Spirit Of Giving

By lanmac on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:00 AM

The Christmas season can easily become commercialized! There are so many adds on television about holiday sales, hottest toys, jewelry, etc. People are always running around trying to find the perfect gift for their loved one. The month of December seems to fly by with every spare moment spent in toy shops, malls, figuring out your child's christmas wish list, your families wish lists', what to serve for Christmas dinner. Before we know it, it is over. We adults have fabulous new clothes and jewelry, our kids have the perfect toys to fit their personalities, and then comes the decline of the adrenaline rush. Christmas commercials go away, sales end, families go home. In the end, all that seems to be accomplished and focused on, is the wants.

The Christmas season can easily become commercialized! There are so many adds on television about holiday sales, hottest toys, jewelry, etc. People are always running around trying to find the perfect gift for their loved one. The month of December seems to fly by with every spare moment spent in toy shops, malls, figuring out your child's christmas wish list, your families wish lists', what to serve for Christmas dinner. Before we know it, it is over. We adults have fabulous new clothes and jewelry, our kids have the perfect toys to fit their personalities, and then comes the decline of the adrenaline rush. Christmas commercials go away, sales end, families go home. In the end, all that seems to be accomplished and focused on, is the wants.

I vowed to myself when I had my first born, Landin, that I would never have him think Christmas is all about his wish list. Yes, of course, I will always ask what he wants and Santa will do his best to fulfill his Christmas wish list. There is no greater joy then seeing my kid's eyes light up on christmas morning, believing in the magic of Santa Clause coming to our home. However, I also want my children to know the true meaning of Christmas. I want them to think of others and ways to give to others. When we go Christmas shopping, I want them to find gifts for others. In addition, I want them to think of ways to give without buying at all. For example, make food baskets for less fortunate families. Another way we reinforce the spirit of giving to our children is by participating in the tree of angels in our church. Each angle on the tree represents a less fortunate child in the community. Each of my children pick a name from the tree, and we then go to a store so they can choose a special gift. It is so important to think of others this time of year. If I start instilling this now, maybe my children will grow up with the true meaning of giving and thinking of others!

I don't just talk to my children about giving, because that is not enough to make them realize, we have to go out and do it! (Seeing is believing) I will actually set up a day where we go shopping and it is all about thinking of the person on our list, and talking about what they like and what their interests are. We even think of things to make them, a craft project, blanket, etc, which requires time. Time is all children want anyway. This time of year I never buy them anything, I say this is the time of year we only buy for others. Every time we do a craft we think of who we can give it to. I hope this is something they always remember, because to me, Christmas is about giving.

What does Christmas mean to you?

lanmac About :
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
  • cara124
  • by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:04 AM
  • Me too ! ... I love see old friends and family . Please i get to meet new ones along the way !

Quoting PoehlerBear1983:

Christmas is about family to me. I prefer the weeks leading up to christmas rather than the actual day

• Quote Reply
  • Leelee1008
  • by Alicia on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:29 AM
  • The way I think of christmas is its a time for hope and joy and light. Its about spending time with your family, remembering all the good times, and wishing away the bad. You close out the end of a year, and rejoyce in all the good, and try not to think about the bad. It is my most favorite time of the year, and not because of all the presents, no, I dont ask for any and dont expect them either, I Love to throw myself into the decorating of it all, and baking.

• Quote Reply
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: