Do you have to winterize your car?

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:01 PM
  • 21 Replies

What do you do to winterize your car? We just moved into a much colder environment and would love some tips for surviving the cold months.

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
summerbear
by Rachel on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:01 PM
No help here... florida
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:02 PM
Snow tires make a huge difference, I highly recommend them as being worth the expense.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:03 PM
Not here in ca
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashmac03
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Sorry I can't help we live in CA. 

tayanddyl
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:42 PM

I live in New Orleans and don't even know what winterizing means LOL it's so hot here we don't need it

wingsfan1234
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:44 PM

depending on what you mean by' colder environment'  you don't really have to do much...  I grew up in Michigan... so there all we did was put sand bags int he back of pick-up trucks.. drive slower if you need to and brake farther back than normal

Rushn311
by Ruby Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:46 PM

I should have. I was supposed to get new tires and a coolant flush, but didn't. Money.

specialwingz
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:52 PM

I lived in MN for 20 years.  We used a 10W30 weight oil in our vehicles.  This allows the cold oil to be able to operate in the engine in the cold.  We also used block heaters.  If you don't use the 10W30 weight oil, then you will need an oil pan heater as well.  And, windshield cleaning fluid was used at 100% concentration.  Some people in warmer states thin it out with water.  Can't do that in colder climates.  The water in it causes it to freeze up in the lines.  Also, invest in a pocket/purse-sized lock heater.  It's a small device that you can stick in the lock of your car, should it freeze due to freezing rain and such.  Even with electronic locks, this can happen, although it's less likely.

Treating a newly cleaned windshield and windows with Rain-X, helps remove the snow and ice more quickly and efficiently.  Keep winter supplies in your trunk just in case you end up stranded on the side of the road.  Blankets, extra socks, hats & gloves, flashlight, jumper cables, fix-a-flat & bottled water.  Maybe even some granola bars...some snack that doesn't spoil.  When you get stranded in the cold, the cold sets in fast.  I also kept the little pocket warmers in my kit.  You can get them in most sporting goods departments.

Mami2oneboy
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Quoting ashmac03:

Sorry I can't help we live in CA. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luvmybooskies
by Tiff on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:13 PM

I have snow tires my D/H puts on my car once winter hits. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: