Smarter Mom: Keeping It Fair

Posted by   + Show Post

I suspect every mom has done this at least once: you get the presents out of wherever you have stashed them, and make a pile for each kid so you can wrap them...and then realize oops, one kid has a lot more than the others.

I think this especially becomes a problem when your kids' interests start to diverge, with one leaning more toward "big-kid" wants and the other still into toys. For example, my daughter wants an iPod or Nintendo DS this year, while my son wants a remote control monster truck, some Legos, a toy garbage truck (I don't even know where to begin, there) and some race cars. His pile would be a lot bigger than hers unless I totally blow my budget to even up the present count.She's kind of at the tail end of the Santa years, too, so I can't explain it from a budgetary standpoint.

I'm getting around this by giving her my old iPod Touch and buying her fancy earphones and a gift card for apps, thus making the unwrapping equal and my budget unblown. But this might be the last year I can get away with that. I know some families do the "Victorian four": something you want, something you need, something to wear and something to read, while others do three gifts, for the Three Kings, which are good ideas too.

How do you keep the present distribution fair?

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
inmybizz
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:43 AM

I don't.

fraujones
by Amanda on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:45 AM

I feel like our oldest is getting a lot more than the baby. I'm struggling to find presents for our 12 month old. She's rather play with her sister's toys or Daddy's iphone. 

woman_laying_down_while_reading_0071-0810-1617-0647_SMU

MamaJane
by Jane:) on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:39 AM
I try to keep present numbers the same even if a few presents are silly. My daughter got a huge present this year. It's more then we've ever spent before. So that she had more to unwrap I got her silly things like 1.99 candles (she's 15 and loves to have candles in her room)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaJane
by Jane:) on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:41 AM
The good thing is she won't have a clue. With our 3rd (he was born jan 16) I didn't get him anything on his first Christmas. We had plenty of toys from his older siblings and frankly he had no clue he was missing anything.

Quoting fraujones:

I feel like our oldest is getting a lot more than the baby. I'm struggling to find presents for our 12 month old. She's rather play with her sister's toys or Daddy's iphone. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Same problem here!

othermom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:35 AM

I try to get the same number of gifts for the kids even if the total amount spent is diffrent.

Mami2oneboy
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:24 PM
I only have one right now so there's no competition lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:39 PM

My kids don't worry about that..They are greatful for what they get. 

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:56 PM

I try every year but fail.Makes me feel so bad

hfaddis
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:02 PM

my 3 boys are young enough they don't care, but to be honest if one wanted something more expensive, i would not blow my budget to make them have the same number of gifts, my 4.5 year old already understands things cost different amounts and if it came down to thatI would explain to him that and the others two when they are older, but to be totally honest they don't care how much they have or how much their brothers have, they are just excited about having stuff under the tree to open, heck they are just as excited about each others gifts as their own. If it ever came down to lets count each others presents and make sure we all have the exact same number year, i think we would be having a talk about appreciating what we do have and the different costs of items affecting the number. I mean I don't go all out on one child and get the others basically nothing or anything like that but I don't set and count the presents either. My youngest didn't get as much as the older two because he already has A LOT.But he did get some really cool stuff, (Some BIGGER New toys since we are about to move and he will have his own room for the first time, an AWESOME bedset, Lots of disney books for his bookshelf and stuff like that.) He's to young to care really and will honestly probably like the boxes better then anything still HAHAHA (He's almost 21 months, HOLY crap time flies) yep I need to quit rambling LOL. I am sick and have no voice so this has been the most I have "Talked" all week LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: