Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Style: Caring for Winter Skin

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 48 Replies

It's still relatively warm where I live, in Michigan, but there's no denying winter is here. And that means dry skin, chapped lips, and raw hands for many of us. Dry indoor air, harsh winds, and hot showers can all turn skin parched and thirsty. Here are some tips to keep your skin feeling and looking good during the winter months:

Turn Down the Heat: Hot showers rob your skin of moisture. A nice hot shower or bath can feel great when you're chilly, but stick to warm water instead. Stay away from harsh soaps, as well...use something mild and/or moisturizing. And apply a lotion as soon as you towel off.

Moisturize: Even if your skin tends to be oily, use moisturizer before you put on any makeup. It protects your skin from the harsh weather. And if you're spending time outside, don't forget the sunscreen...sun bounces off snow just like it does off sand and water, which can put you at more risk for burning.

Pamper Your Paws: Keep a rich hand cream by the sink and use it every time you wash your hands.  They really take a beating in this cold weather! And if they get really dry, slather on a thick cream before bed and top them with cotton gloves...the warmth will help the cream do its thing. Same goes for your feet, too, if the weather's been rough on them (except use socks, of course). I like to put foot lotion on before I go running; then when I come home and take off my shoes and socks, my feet are nice and smooth.

Lip Slickers: I am a leettle bit obsessive about lip balm...I have a stick in the pocket of each coat or jacket, at least one in every bag I carry, and several next to the bathroom sink. Apply balm (you can even find tinted ones for a nice lipgloss effect) before going outside, at bedtime, or just whenever you think of it. It's good stuff!

What's your favorite winter skincare product?

by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 7:26 AM

a really good lotion....i think by neutrogena....swiss alps or similar name!

elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 7:30 AM

I do all of these except the hot showers. They are not long, but I always have really hot water.

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Dec. 7, 2012 at 7:31 AM

I take super hot showers and baths.Guess I need to cool it down

wandep
by Pam on Dec. 7, 2012 at 7:48 AM

Having psoriasis I don't put too many products on. If I do use something its some lotion.

lasombrs
by Sara on Dec. 7, 2012 at 7:56 AM

I dont have any but need to find something. I burned my hand about 6 weeks ago and the center of the scar is now all dry cracked and bleeding from the heater and all the dry cold air

PoehlerBear1983
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 7:57 AM
I dont really use anything
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ForeverInLove
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:02 AM

Whenever you are going to go outside, where gloves! Each time you step out, the dry air will rob your hands of more moisture in seconds, and so wearing gloves can actually help a ton in preventing it.

And, i'm sticking to my hot showers, LOL. If i don't turn the water up in the winter, I'm cold in the shower. Nothing like showering while you're shivering. 

ForeverInLove
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:03 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting lasombrs:

I dont have any but need to find something. I burned my hand about 6 weeks ago and the center of the scar is now all dry cracked and bleeding from the heater and all the dry cold air

Aloe and breastmilk... seriously. 

Karissa_ruiz
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:11 AM
I use a lot of chapstick. lol I hate when my lips get chapped
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:30 AM
Burts Bees lip balm. I love it!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN