Group Home

Smarter Style: Caring for Winter Skin

Posted by   + Show Post

It's still relatively warm where I live, in Michigan, but there's no denying winter is here. And that means dry skin, chapped lips, and raw hands for many of us. Dry indoor air, harsh winds, and hot showers can all turn skin parched and thirsty. Here are some tips to keep your skin feeling and looking good during the winter months:

Turn Down the Heat: Hot showers rob your skin of moisture. A nice hot shower or bath can feel great when you're chilly, but stick to warm water instead. Stay away from harsh soaps, as well...use something mild and/or moisturizing. And apply a lotion as soon as you towel off.

Moisturize: Even if your skin tends to be oily, use moisturizer before you put on any makeup. It protects your skin from the harsh weather. And if you're spending time outside, don't forget the sunscreen...sun bounces off snow just like it does off sand and water, which can put you at more risk for burning.

Pamper Your Paws: Keep a rich hand cream by the sink and use it every time you wash your hands.  They really take a beating in this cold weather! And if they get really dry, slather on a thick cream before bed and top them with cotton gloves...the warmth will help the cream do its thing. Same goes for your feet, too, if the weather's been rough on them (except use socks, of course). I like to put foot lotion on before I go running; then when I come home and take off my shoes and socks, my feet are nice and smooth.

Lip Slickers: I am a leettle bit obsessive about lip balm...I have a stick in the pocket of each coat or jacket, at least one in every bag I carry, and several next to the bathroom sink. Apply balm (you can even find tinted ones for a nice lipgloss effect) before going outside, at bedtime, or just whenever you think of it. It's good stuff!

What's your favorite winter skincare product?

by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-48):
flowerfunleah
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:41 AM

tfs! Hot showers are my most favorite thing! I dunno if I can give them :-/

Kainalu55
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:41 PM

lip balm

elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:27 PM

I keep body butter and lip balm in my bedside table, apply them am and pm.

jessicasmom1
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Chapstick

heydooney
by Danielle :) on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:12 PM

coconut oil

heydooney
by Danielle :) on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:13 PM

CJ's BUTTer, it's awesome and not just for butts.

heydooney
by Danielle :) on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:13 PM

And I love love love hot showers so i'll suffer through the dryness lol

bwsmommy
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Ive started using Hemp lotion .. and ive found i really like it .. and the kind i use smells super great .. granted im just trying to use random lotions in my house now until i have the baby and the half empty bottles of lotion that i find are gone ..lol !

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. aneela
  2. Vertical15
  3. mrswillie
  4. ceciliam
  5. deccaf
  6. SweetLuci