Group Home

Time Saving Ideas Part 1 - Prepping for Your Holiday Dinners

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 58 Replies

Time really flies during the holidays. You wake up and have your first cup of coffee and before you know it the kids are asking, "What's for dinner?"

No matter what day of the week in December, there's always a fantastically long list of to dos. And, matter what the chores of the day may bring, you'll always need to feed the family and perhaps a few guests every evening.

Here are a few ways to make cooking easier when prepping for a holiday meal.

Plan out the menu for the week. Nothing wastes more time than standing around trying to figure out what to make for dinner. Shop on a Sunday for all your meals through out the week. This is also a great way to save money. You'll be less likely to impulse buy, if you go in shopping with specific meals in mind. Don't forget the coupons. There are plenty of them this time of year!

Wash and cut vegetables as soon as your bring them home from the store. You'll be more likely to use them, and cut down on prepping time as well. Think ahead to the meals you have planned for the week, so you know how to chop each vegetable. This is a great task for a tween who loves helping in the kitchen.

Don't be afraid of frozen appetizers. Many stores now have a variety of brands that are tasty and healthful. A few options will make sure that you are never caught off guard by drop in visitors. You'll always have a nice warm treat to serve. Go ahead and take the credit, saying you made it yourself. A stash of mixed nuts and tea cookies is also a great idea.

Make good use of your slow cooker. It is great for cooking big batches of chilis, stews, or soups. Be adventurous and cook a whole roast or chicken. Whatever it is that you are making, you can be sure that it will feed a crowd. I love cooking a roast because I know I'll have dinner for that night, and probably the next night as well. Nothing like good leftovers to save some time - and money!

Moms, what are your favorite time-saving methods in the kitchen?

by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fraujones
by Amanda on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Good tips. I'd second the slow cooker advice. 

arpazia
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:04 AM
Nifty advice! Thanks! My advice... Catering! Lol lol lol j/k
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:48 AM

we usuall do everything last minute. lol

natesmom1228
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:08 AM

There are some things that you really can't plan ahead. I am making bread pudding for brunch and I will make that Christmas morning just before I go to my moms.

slw123
by Shawna on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Good tips.  Also letting others do some of the work.

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:00 PM

thanks

goddess99
by Michelle on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:08 PM

I don't do a meal here, we go somewhere and I bring things. I make everything 1-2 days before.

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Thanks and I agree a crock pot is a huge help. I do my Christmas ham in my large one! 

timon95
by Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:24 PM

no tips, i just go with my mood and whatever the day brings.

Rushn311
by Ruby Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 2:03 PM

planning what I am going to cook helps the most

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. SweetLuci
  2. deccaf
  3. Charizma77
  4. Jules_
  5. ceciliam
  6. mom2jessnky