Talking to your children about their private areas

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:07 PM
  • 35 Replies
Have you had the talk with your child? How did it go?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rain2Rinse
by Gold Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:10 PM
2 moms liked this
Dd went to the doctor the ther day, and the doctor attempted to look at her vagina. Dd (6) pushed her hand away, slid off of the table, and said "why are you touching me?"

The doctor explained that she was just going to look. Dd wanted to k ow exactly what se was looking for, why she needed to look, explained that her private areas were hers, and kept giving the doctor dirty looks. She finally just said, " I am NOT ok with this, and mom says its ok to say no."

The doctor said it was fine. And honestly, I was proud of her for standing her ground when she felt that something was wrong.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Quoting Rain2Rinse:

Dd went to the doctor the ther day, and the doctor attempted to look at her vagina. Dd (6) pushed her hand away, slid off of the table, and said "why are you touching me?"

The doctor explained that she was just going to look. Dd wanted to k ow exactly what se was looking for, why she needed to look, explained that her private areas were hers, and kept giving the doctor dirty looks. She finally just said, " I am NOT ok with this, and mom says its ok to say no."

The doctor said it was fine. And honestly, I was proud of her for standing her ground when she felt that something was wrong.

Good for her!!!! I dont see why a dr would have to look at a 6 year old anyways.You should be proud!!

momma-flynn
by Greta on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:39 PM

That's great!  

Quoting Rain2Rinse:

momma-flynn
by Greta on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I have had talks with dd & it went better than I expected. I was worried that it would be awkward. 

angieluvsolivia
by Angie on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:42 PM

My dd is 6 and my ds is 3.  I've told her that no one except myself, daddy, and the doctor with us present is allowed to touch and there needs to be a reason.  If she is ever uncomfortable with anyone touching her she knows to tell.  I've also caught her touching herself and told her that needs to be done in private.  I don't think there is one "talk" to have it's just something that you need to revisit every now and then and be age appropriate.  My son is really too young.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:15 PM

I think it's better to always use appropriate terms for genetalia, and talk about situations as the occasion arises. I don't believe in having one big talk. When she was 9, I gave her a book called The Care and Keeping of You and we read it together, then sometimes she would ask questions and we would talk. It's worked out well.

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Since I have 6 daughter's, yes we've had the talk...I just tell them everything their swimsuit covers is there's and NOBODY is to touch it..The only exception is a doctor if ever needed..And if anyone wants to keep a secret, we don't keep secret's, we keep surprises..And they can tell me anything and I will believe them... 

proudmommy690
by Christa on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:36 PM
Good for her!

Quoting Rain2Rinse:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
proudmommy690
by Christa on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:38 PM
My kids old pedi always checked too...idk why but she did....

Glad our new dr doesnt.

Quoting momofsixangels:

Quoting Rain2Rinse:

Good for her!!!! I dont see why a dr would have to look at a 6 year old anyways.You should be proud!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetpea1269
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:04 PM
I've talked to them for as long as I can remember, its never to early.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: