Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do Mexicans celebrate Christmas?

Mexicans celebrate the birth of Jesus with las Posadas, nine days of preparation during which the story of the Nativity is reenacted each day. These days lead up to Noche Buena (Holy Night) or Christmas Eve. Most families go to mass, then head home for dinner with family and friends. The highlight of the evening is placing Baby Jesus in the manger in the Nativity scene.

To prepare for the celebration, the house is decorated with pottery; bowls of fruit; brightly colored paper ornaments; colorful confetti; tinsel-trimmed maracas; star-shaped piƱatas filled with oranges, tangerines, peanuts, and candy canes; red, green, and silver tablecloths; small lanterns and candles; and, of course, a Nativity scene.

The spread for Feliz Navidad includes:

• Roast turkey, ham, or suckling pig
  • Biscayan cod
  • Tamales
  • Stuffed chili peppers
  • Wild greens in mole sauce
  • Atole (beverage made from corn)
  • Chili con queso with chips
  • Guacamole with flakes of red bell pepper "confetti"
  • Ensalada de Navidad (Christmas fruit salad)
  • Sidra (sparkling cider)
  • Chocolate atole (cinnamon hot chocolate)
  • Ponche con piquete (hot punch of fruits and cinnamon sticks)
  • Bizcochos (holiday cookies)
  • Sweet Christmas fritters
  • Flan
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:50 PM
Replies (11-20):
.ChiMama.
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:14 PM

how did the kids like it? my grandma made a pierna de puerco the last christmas i was there with her. YUMMY!

Quoting Supervane:

I'm in Mexico right now I came for a family Posada. And haven't gone back. The kids put on a pastorela play

Let me just say we've never ever had turkey or ham Lol. We always cook outside we had menudo and tamales. Cooked on a nice open fire

Supervane
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:31 PM
They loved it! My God son was the devil, and my goddaughter the virgin Mary. my DD unfortunately missed it she feel asleep at about 9.

Quoting .ChiMama.:

how did the kids like it? my grandma made a pierna de puerco the last christmas i was there with her. YUMMY!

Quoting Supervane:

I'm in Mexico right now I came for a family Posada. And haven't gone back. The kids put on a pastorela play

Let me just say we've never ever had turkey or ham Lol. We always cook outside we had menudo and tamales. Cooked on a nice open fire

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wandep
by Pam on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:36 PM
Cool
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lizzig
by Ruby Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 5:36 PM

we've added some of my husband's traditions to mine for christmas but mostly he wanted to make sure our kids celebrated 3 kings day. 

crabbyD
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 6:23 PM
I've been lucky enough to celebrate in this way once when my father took me to Mexico the first time... I loved it all!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maxswolfsuit
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 6:34 PM

TFS

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Sounds fun!

momma-flynn
by Greta on Dec. 10, 2012 at 8:24 PM
We eat tamales every year
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
flowerfunleah
by Gold Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Yum! All that food sounds amazing!!

flowerfunleah
by Gold Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Especially the tamales!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)