Christmas Stockings

By lanmac on Dec. 14, 2012 at 12:00 AM

The element of surprise is one of the best feelings!

If I'm the one planning the surprise for someone, the excitement and anticipation build up profoundly.  It gets to the point that it seems impossible for me to keep the surprise a secret, but I am getting better at that.

The element of surprise is one of the best feelings!

If I'm the one planning the surprise for someone, the excitement and anticipation build up profoundly.  It gets to the point that it seems impossible for me to keep the surprise a secret, but I am getting better at that.

On the other hand, being the recipient of the surprise is overwhelming and exciting as well. However, there is no anticipation, so it is a different form of excitement. Both, however, are amazing feelings that are far and few between.

Growing up, my family was very traditional at Christmas time.  We always put the tree in the same spot, with the same decorations, and every year we always "hung our stockings by the chimney with care."  My mother made each of her children a Christmas stocking when they were born. We looked forward to hanging them each year, with great anticipation of what surprise Santa would leave in them! To this day, my favorite thing to open on Christmas morning is the stocking stuffers!
When I got married and the Christmas season came around, I remember shopping for my own decorations, which was fun.  But I remember being sad that I wouldn't have my homemade stocking.  No matter where I looked, they did not appeal to me because they were not special or unique.

Then one day my mother had mentioned to me that she would like to make stockings for me and my husband, Chris.  I was overwhelmed with excitement and anticipation!  

When I received them, they were the most personal, thoughtful, unique, beautiful stockings I had ever seen!  They match our personalities perfectly.       My husband's stocking is a golfer, and mine is a shopper! They far exceeded any image I had in my mind. I was so overjoyed that I was able to keep one of my old traditions of homemade stockings with my new family.  My mother has made a stocking for each of my children as well.
Every Christmas the first things I take out of the bins are the stockings. I can't wait to hang them up and admire them. These stockings will forever be my most treasured Christmas decoration. 
This validates that homemade gifts are truly the most special. Sometimes people confuse homemade with cheap.  As you see, there is nothing cheap about a gift that was handmade by a loved one. Maybe this is why homemade gifts are my favorite to give!

Do you have a favorite holiday tradition?

lanmac About :
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
  • timon95
  • by Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 12:02 PM
  • i enjoy everything about the holidays, no set favorite tradition. watching the kids enjoy everything would be my favorite tradition

• Quote Reply
  • sukainah
  • by Gold Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 12:10 PM
  • What a fun tradition!

Quoting ceciliam:

My favorite tradition is presenting my son with a small gift on Dec 1st to kick off the 25 days of Christmas.

• Quote Reply
  • lalasmama2007
  • by Ticia on Dec. 14, 2012 at 12:48 PM
  • Fun =)

Quoting 4kidz916:

When I give the kids large gifts they get a treasure map and clues in their stocking and they have to find the big gift. 

• Quote Reply
  • BabyTeki
  • by Nikki on Dec. 14, 2012 at 1:11 PM
  • I live giving presents. I get more out of getting presentation for others then I do getting them myself. Actually I feel half pas when getting preaents, I don't like the attention on me. Is much rather be able to put a smile on someone else's face
    Posted on CafeMom Mobile
  • Quote Reply
  • SarahSuzyQ
  • by Sarah on Dec. 14, 2012 at 1:16 PM
  • I LOVE these kind of stockings. We had them at my mom's house and my grandmother's house growing up. I've been trying to make one for DS for 3 years now, but I chose a really difficult kit... Someday he'll have it as an heirloom!

• Quote Reply
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: