Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Catholic funeral?

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:00 PM
  • 26 Replies

What can I expect at a Catholic funeral? My great aunt and uncle were killed in a car accident Monday. My 5-year-old was very close to them, would it be appropriate to bring him?

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ballerina.2006
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:04 PM
I've attended one and it was kind of long. They did do a sacrament (bread and wine) as part of the service at the one I attended but you don't have to participate in that. Also we sang a few hymns.

If your 5yo needs closure take him but it may be awkward or too long for him. Just prep him ahead of time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2jessnky
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:05 PM

My grandpa had a Catholic funeral. It was like going to church, sermon, communion, all that. I took my kids (7 & almost 10) to it. I guess it depends on how good your kiddo is at sitting quietly.

proudmommy690
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:06 PM
I've never been to a catholic funeral. Im so sorry for your loss. When my grandmother (dads mom) passed away i took my kids with me..at the time they were almost 1 and almost 4.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heydooney
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:10 PM

We've always done "typical" funerals in my family, but my great-aunt was very dedicated to her church.

My 5yo is not a good sitter. At all. Maybe I'll take him just to the visitation if he wants.

This really sucks.

momofsixangels
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Im so sorry for your losses.When I was growing up we were catholic.They have almost like a church service.Its long

heydooney
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:18 PM

There are a lot of kids in the family. I wonder what everyone else is doing.

golther
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:23 PM
They are really loooong.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lil_mama06
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Sorry for your loss..I was 10 when my grandpa died..And all i remember was it was long and boring..(Kids point of view) and we went to one of my aunt's houses and had a party... 

momma-flynn
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:31 PM

I'm sorry for your loss. My dh's grandmother's funeral is the only Catholic one that I have been to. It was long, a lot of standing for scriptures & songs.  

heydooney
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Crap, what do I do with the kids if I don't take them? It's in Illinois (I'm in CO) and I don't have a babysitter there...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)