Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Time Saving Ideas Part 2 - Holiday Baking

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 59 Replies

Tis the season for baking - cookies, cupcakes, cakes, breads, muffins and more. It's a time for sharing and enjoying the holidays with friends and loved ones. And nothing says holiday cheer more than fresh baked goods. But as we all know, baking takes time - lots of time.

Here are some time saving tips for baking for your holiday crowd:

Make cookie dough ahead of time and freeze in logs using saran wrap. Make sure to wrap them airtight. Once refrigerated, use them at any time, slicing from the log to form perfect cookies.

Make pie fillings ahead of time and freeze for future use. In the fall we had a ton of apples from various apple-picking trips and we were at a loss on what to do with all the Granny Smiths. That is until I thought about making a few batches of apple pie filling. I made the filling per my usual recipe and then let it cool. Once cooled, I put each pie-sized portion into freezer bags. Now they are ready when I need them!

Stock up on baking essentials well before you are ready to do your baking. You never want to be caught with out necessities like fresh baking powder, baking soda, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, or flower.

Gather all necessary plastic containers, platters, goody bags and other items for delivering your delicious baked goods ahead of time. Presentation matters - especially during this time of year.

Check the dates on your spices. Did you know they could go bad? It's not that they are spoiled, but they loose their strength over time.  It's a good time to buy new spices as most are on sale this time of year.

Moms, how do you make the most out of your baking time in the kitchen?

by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
natesmom1228
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 9:13 AM

I have 3 doughs going at one time. I have 3 in the fridge and 3 different kinds baking.

BabyTeki
by Nikki on Dec. 17, 2012 at 9:16 AM
Unfortunately I haven't really done any this year. I hate my kitchen its so small!
goddess99
by Michelle on Dec. 17, 2012 at 9:50 AM

I don't bake Christmas items but my mom makes her cookie dough, cuts out the shapes and bakes them and then freezes them to frost and decorate at a later time.

MichelleK41
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Oh yeah I do try to get the most out of my holiday baking. =)

GwenMB
by Member on Dec. 17, 2012 at 10:35 AM

I love the idea of freezing pie fillings & cookie dough for later use!  I need another chest freezer for all the things I think of to do & freeze for later. lol

My absolute favorite way to maximize my time in the kitchen is to get the boys out of it while I bake. lol  Its so much faster & easier!

fraujones
by Amanda on Dec. 17, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I'm not overdoing the baking this year. I'll make sugar cookies and possibly rum cake.

My SIL shared this site for two ingredient recipes with me. Looks like a great time saver:

http://sweetfancydesigns.wordpress.com/2012/04/16/the-best-two-ingredient-recipes/

Rushn311
by Ruby Member on Dec. 17, 2012 at 10:53 AM

We bake already  made cookies, so it's pretty simple.

slw123
by Shawna on Dec. 17, 2012 at 10:56 AM

I am not organized enough to do things in advance.

jessicasmom1
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 11:00 AM

make the dough that needs to refrigeate ... overnight put them in the fridge , then start the batch I can cook now .. and so on

to try to make the best of time

ceciliam
by Ruby Member on Dec. 17, 2012 at 11:40 AM

I clean as I go so I don't end up with a messy kitchen that I have no energy to clean.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)