Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Time Saving Ideas Part 2 - Holiday Baking

Posted by   + Show Post

Tis the season for baking - cookies, cupcakes, cakes, breads, muffins and more. It's a time for sharing and enjoying the holidays with friends and loved ones. And nothing says holiday cheer more than fresh baked goods. But as we all know, baking takes time - lots of time.

Here are some time saving tips for baking for your holiday crowd:

Make cookie dough ahead of time and freeze in logs using saran wrap. Make sure to wrap them airtight. Once refrigerated, use them at any time, slicing from the log to form perfect cookies.

Make pie fillings ahead of time and freeze for future use. In the fall we had a ton of apples from various apple-picking trips and we were at a loss on what to do with all the Granny Smiths. That is until I thought about making a few batches of apple pie filling. I made the filling per my usual recipe and then let it cool. Once cooled, I put each pie-sized portion into freezer bags. Now they are ready when I need them!

Stock up on baking essentials well before you are ready to do your baking. You never want to be caught with out necessities like fresh baking powder, baking soda, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, or flower.

Gather all necessary plastic containers, platters, goody bags and other items for delivering your delicious baked goods ahead of time. Presentation matters - especially during this time of year.

Check the dates on your spices. Did you know they could go bad? It's not that they are spoiled, but they loose their strength over time.  It's a good time to buy new spices as most are on sale this time of year.

Moms, how do you make the most out of your baking time in the kitchen?

by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (51-59):
4kidz916
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 7:50 AM

I think I'll try this next year. 

Quoting goddess99:

I don't bake Christmas items but my mom makes her cookie dough, cuts out the shapes and bakes them and then freezes them to frost and decorate at a later time.

jessicasmom1
by Bronze Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:04 AM

always make a few batches you can work on some , refrigerate others

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Dec. 19, 2012 at 11:32 AM

we dont bake a ton...so it's not an issue when we decide we wanna do it

delanna6two
by Gold Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 3:32 PM

I usually try the shorter or easier recipes or use premade doughs.

bwsmommy
by Platinum Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 8:45 PM

ive not been doing any baking .. because i cant eat what i bake .. maybe after the baby comes .. ill make some cakes and candies though ..

bether89
by Ruby Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:01 AM

I bought parchment paper to put under my cookies to keep them from sticking to the pan.  This will save on clean up time when we are doing baking.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Dec. 21, 2012 at 9:30 PM

I prepare dough and freeze cookie dough, and I bake fruit breads and freeze early in the month.

lasombrs
by Sara on Dec. 25, 2012 at 7:35 PM

i cook multiple things at a time if they are the same temp

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Dec. 26, 2012 at 10:34 AM

The girls and I spent all day the other day starting at 8:30 am baking.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN