Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Christmas Surprise

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 55 Replies

When I was a little girl,  I always remember not being able to sleep on Christmas Eve. I would try to listen for Santa on my roof, or see Rudolph in the sky, and anticipate the opening of gifts in the morning.  Would my wish list be fulfilled?  It was a feeling I can still remember to this day. The butterflies in my stomach and a smile as big as can be across my face! 

When I was a little girl,  I always remember not being able to sleep on Christmas Eve. I would try to listen for Santa on my roof, or see Rudolph in the sky, and anticipate the opening of gifts in the morning.  Would my wish list be fulfilled?  It was a feeling I can still remember to this day. The butterflies in my stomach and a smile as big as can be across my face!
In my house, it seemed like forever until it was time to open gifts. We would have to line up from shortest to tallest at the top of the stairs, take many pictures, get breakfast ready, organize the gifts, and then finally open gifts, but one at a time. We would start with the youngest and open one, go around to the next youngest, and so on. My parents wanted it to last as long as possible, however, for me, I just wanted to rip into everything!
I remember a lot of Christmas' in my years of not believing. I remember shopping with my mom picking out what I like, and opening it on Christmas morning. This is definitely fun, but a different experience that lacks the element of surprise.

However, for whatever reason, I remember crystal clear one specific Christmas. As I sit here and write this I can picture it perfectly in my head and I can feel the emotions in my stomach. We lived in our old house, which I moved out of when I was 6, so I was pretty young, and definitely in my believing days. I remember the typical feeling of excitement and not being able to sleep. I can remember waking up that morning and wanting to just run downstairs.  My brother and sister told me I had to be patient and wait for my parents, do the traditional lineup at the top of the stairs, and take pictures. Then, came the moment, we were allowed to run down the stairs to see if Santa had come!

That's when I saw it, perfectly nestled under the tree, a real sized baby stroller! I can still see it, teal green handles, white cloth with colored polka dots, and a teddy bear sitting in it.  I was thrilled! Hope Fritsy, my favorite baby doll, had a real stroller that I could take her for walks in around the neighborhood! This is my first true memory of the element of surprise! Ever since then I have loved to surprise people, and of course, to be surprised.
Every year I try to get someone a gift that will give them this feeling. Of course, not every gift that is given will have that true element of surprise, which is nearly impossible. But you can always find one! I want my children to have a memory like this someday. The thing that is so amazing about this is that it is just a stroller. It didn't need to be an elaborate present, like a trip to Disney, or an I Pod touch.  It was a simple, well thought out gift. My parents knew that my most valued and favorite toy was my doll, and what better thing to go with that than a stroller. Hopefully this can be a reminder to me through the years that it's not about what I spend that will impact the surprise factor, but the thought!
What is your favorite childhood Christmas surprise?

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jessicasmom1
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:09 AM

the moment of surprise when we could run down the stairs and see gifts around the tree

natesmom1228
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:36 AM

When Santa would come to my Aunt and Uncle's house and give us all gifts.

timon95
by Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Quoting jessicasmom1:

the moment of surprise when we could run down the stairs and see gifts around the tree

family car

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Having personal visits from Santa

goddess99
by Michelle on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:07 AM

I got a jukebox once.

Wish2Be
by Michelle on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:28 AM

I love being surprised and surprising others for that same reason...especially around Christmas :)

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Oh gosh I think all of them!! 

RobynS
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:02 PM

I LOVED the element of surprise. I loved the suspense of seeing the gifts under the tree for weeks, wondering what they were... the excitement just built and built. Awesome!

RobynS
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:02 PM

One year I got a beautiful red play refrigerator complete with a set of play food. I'll never forget it! :)

RobynS
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Oh! And my sister is a lot older than me, so she was more like an aunt and she SPOILED me! I remember this gift one year that seemed HUGE. It turned out to be a bean bag chair. I LOVED it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)