Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Living: Ways to do something to help

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 32 Replies

It is in times like this that many of us feel not sure what we should/can do. We feel a tad powerless when so much is going on around us, in our the country, the world. We pray, we write, we read, we watch the news, we discuss with family and friends. But we feel like we want to do more, do something tangible.

Not to get into politics, putting issues aside, there are many ways to help those suffering, those impacted by what happened in Connecticut. You can find info here, and there will be more funds set up in the days and months ahead, I'm sure.

Another way to help is to support other schools around the country, aide teachers who are doing the same amazing job that those that lost their lives on Friday had as their mission. DonorsChoose.org is a great charity to help students, school and teachers. Teachers put up project requests that need funding, and you pick the area, kind of project, and amount you want to give...an amazing way to keep the memory of those teachers alive.

I love this other site to check out: OneSmallDeed.com, whose motto is "If every person in the world did one small good deed for another person every day, then the world would be a better place". You can do a small deed and post it there...and then get inspired by those deeds that others have done. Sharing this with your kids can give them a renewed sense of good in the world.

And finally? We can all do our best to teach our kids about humanity, about how we are all connected in this world. That we have to work together, to figure out how to work as a society. How to do this? Keep telling them to be kind, to think, to be open to new ideas, to be curious, to ask the hard questions...as it is with the conversations and questions that we will ask in the days to come that we can prevent this from happening again.

Are you struggling with the news, feeling like you want to do something, but not sure what? What else do you do to give back and help folks?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ marekuliasz

by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kainalu55
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 1:45 AM

thanks for sharing these sites, I will go take a look at them!

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Dec. 17, 2012 at 10:09 AM

we will be wearing green and white today in memory

fraujones
by Amanda on Dec. 17, 2012 at 10:43 AM

My heart breaks for those families. My DD is a first grader, and many of the first names of the victims are names shared by her classmates. 

It's difficult for me to find words or actions to help in times like these. The good deed site you posted is wonderful. 

othermom
by Ruby Member on Dec. 17, 2012 at 10:52 AM

I help familys in need with gently used clothes, donate food, volunteer occasionally and help out in other ways as well

SweetLuci
by Luci on Dec. 17, 2012 at 11:20 AM

It is difficult to think about. We volunteer at an elementary school, and this morning we were there, just to be an extra pair of hands and a calming influence, helping teachers and children get back to normal.

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Dec. 17, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Yes I do struggle sometimes.  thank you!

hugss
Take Some *Time Out* for You. Join our Friendly/Supportive :)
Yesterday at 10:54 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Thanks for sharing .. will check them out :)

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Dec. 17, 2012 at 3:25 PM

TFS.

Our whole town put together prayer spots and the whole town met at the center square together.

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Dec. 17, 2012 at 3:36 PM
Great ideas!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jerzeetomato
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 3:44 PM

What wonderful ways to show support when you don't know what else to do.  Thanks for sharing this info.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN