Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Mom: Great Christmas bedtime books

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 35 Replies

The holiday season creeps into our lives from every angle. Food (hello, my old friend Starbucks Christmas Blend), entertainment (ABC Family and their 25 Days of Christmas has been on permanently for weeks now), music (as Lady Gaga says, "Cherry cherry boom boom!") and, yes, even attire (Kiddo has been donning a Santa hat with cheetah fur instead of the usual white).

Same goes for reading time. Her teachers require at least 30 minutes of reading Monday through Thursday, if not more, so lately we've been reading holiday books. A few of our faves?

Auntie Claus by Elise Primavera is a fun romp about a little girl and her eccentric NYC aunt...who may or may not be Santa Claus. With its gorgeous illustrations, I love the idea that Santa Claus as a fabulous chic lady (and totally evokes the essence of Auntie Mame, the1958 classic flick with Rosalind Russell).

Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree by Robert Barry is such a sweet tale that follows the top of a Christmas tree as it gets smaller and smaller. The good message reminds us all how we may have different perspectives on what is "big" while sharing the same feeling of love of family.

The Night Santa got Lost: How NORAD Saved Christmas by Michael Keane and illustrated by Michael Garland is a funny take on the trip Santa takes every Dec. 24 night. Tackling not only the sprit of Santa, the story emphasizes teamwork, always a good thing to promote suring this time of year. If your family doesn't track Santa online at NORAD, you will now - and trust me, it is so fun.

A Wish For Wings That Work: An Opus Christmas Story by Berke Breathed is a thrill for me to read with the kiddo as I grew up reading "Bloom County" and all of the other books and comic strips starring Opus, Bill the Cat, Michael Binkley and all of the rest. They come together in this cute Christmas story where Opus longs to fly and ends up helping the guy in the big red suit. Totally fun for the whole family.

The Latke Who Couldn't Stop Screaming by Lemony Snicket is one of my all time faves to read and give to folks as hostess gifts. I love it partly because we celebrate both Hanukkah and Christmas and this little book combines both holidays and touches on how, no matter what you celebrate, the heart of the holidays is the same. Parents will enjoy it, perhaps even more than the kids will (also check out Snicket's The Lump of Coal about searching for miracles during holiday season).

What are your favorite holiday books to read?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ implementstudio

by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bether89
by Ruby Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Olive the Other Reindeer is a really cute book.

hugss
Take Some *Time Out* for You. Join our Friendly/Supportive :)
Yesterday at 10:54 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:40 AM

These are some great ones :)

frndlyfn
by Silver Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:59 AM

We havent any christmas books.  I know that is bad shame on us.  We do have a Pinkalicious On the Rink one where she is ice skating.

Bradensmommy719
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:50 AM
I have 3 stories we read. The polar express, the night before Christmas and the newest is the elf on the shelf.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bwsmommy
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:28 AM

We always read the night before Christmas .. and then a few that arent even related to Christmas ..

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:25 AM

TFS

We always read the night before christmas.

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Love Christmas books!

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Thanks!

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 9:39 AM

I like this one too!

Quoting bether89:

Olive the Other Reindeer is a really cute book.

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:50 AM

awesome! we have the charlie brown christmas book

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN