Group Home

This is the first year that I EVER decorate specifically for the New Year and I'm kind of stoked about it. I decorated the space above our mantle and right now as I sit on the sofa writing, I keep looking up at it and grinning. I think the best part of it is that I can leave it up through January and not feel at all guilty. Not like when you leave your Christmas tree up too long.

Christmas trees are so exciting when you first put them up and they are even kind of nice a few days after Christmas, but once the new year rolls around, they start looking a little sad and like they have overstayed their welcome.

I remember one year, many years ago, when the Christmas tree in my home at the time, stayed up until very beginning of April. That's got to be some kind of record, right? The poor sad tree, which started off fresh, was dryer than my husband's ashy knees. At the time I lived in an apartment building with a roommate and it became so embarrassing that our tree was still up that when we finally got around to throwing it out, we had to do it in the cover of night.

We waited until it was so late that if we ran into anyone on our way to the dumpster, they surely wouldn't say anything because no one could be up to any good at that hour. We dragged the tree down the hallway, into the elevator, and down to the garbage room. We saw absolutely no one and were convinced that we had gotten away with harboring a Christmas tree for an unnaturally long time. I remember standing by the dumpster, our hearts pounding, and laughing because we had gotten away with it. It was a victimless crime! None of our neighbors would judge us. Our relief was short-lived.

As soon as we headed back towards our apartment we realized that instead of getting away with it, we had made sure that all our neighbors would know who was responsible for the ginormous dead Christmas tree in the dumpster because dead pine trees leave needles EVERYWHERE! There was a thick trail of pine needles that clearly went from the dumpster to our front door. Oh the shame!

What's the longest you have ever left a Christmas tree up?

by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (51-59):
sukainah
by Gold Member on Dec. 21, 2012 at 7:41 AM

We are both Muslim.  The xmas tree that I left until February was before converted.  Yes, we also only celebrate Eid.

Quoting Wish2Be:

Quoting sukainah:

I've left mine up until February before!

Are you both Christian if you dont mind my asking? My sister is Muslim but raised with Christmas, so for the first year her and  her husband put the tree up for the children....now they dont put the tree up anymore and only celebrate Eid.

fraujones
by Amanda on Dec. 21, 2012 at 10:34 AM

I take the tree down not long after New Year's Eve. 

amyjane22
by Amy on Dec. 21, 2012 at 1:12 PM

LOL!  I love the story!

The longest we've left ours up is until the end of Feburary.  It was the year that our furnace broke and we spent a long time with my parents-- coming home just to pack up clothes.  After the furnace was fixed, we came home and took down the tree. 

I usually take it down the first week of January.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Dec. 21, 2012 at 9:25 PM

One time we left it up for till the middle of January, because we went on vacation and didn't take it down befor we left. but it's artificial.

Leelee1008
by Alicia on Dec. 21, 2012 at 9:30 PM
LOL It comes down around jan 9th religiously.
Wish2Be
by Michelle on Dec. 21, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Well then you are a sister to my sister :). I hope you had a good Eid :)

Quoting sukainah:

We are both Muslim.  The xmas tree that I left until February was before converted.  Yes, we also only celebrate Eid.

Quoting Wish2Be:

Quoting sukainah:

Are you both Christian if you dont mind my asking? My sister is Muslim but raised with Christmas, so for the first year her and  her husband put the tree up for the children....now they dont put the tree up anymore and only celebrate Eid.

CafeMom Tickers
sukainah
by Gold Member on Dec. 22, 2012 at 9:10 AM

:-) yes, we did.  Thank you! :-)

Quoting Wish2Be:

Well then you are a sister to my sister :). I hope you had a good Eid :)

Quoting sukainah:

Quoting Wish2Be:

Quoting sukainah:

lasombrs
by Sara on Dec. 25, 2012 at 7:33 PM

day after thanks giving til the 3rd of Jan

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Dec. 26, 2012 at 10:33 AM

I have left my tree up almost until Easter.The kids made valentines and I hung white and red lights on it for Valentines Day

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. deccaf
  2. SweetLuci
  3. egyptian_mommy
  4. mrswillie
  5. TigerofMu
  6. jconney80