Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Budget

Posted by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 66 Replies

Christmas is just around the corner! Everyone is either enjoying this time because they have completed their shopping, or they are stressing out because they have so much more to do. Wherever you are in this process, remember try not to go overboard.  It's important to set a budget and stick with it. This is something you will thank yourself for later, after the holidays are over and the bills come in!

Christmas is just around the corner! Everyone is either enjoying this time because they have completed their shopping, or they are stressing out because they have so much more to do. Wherever you are in this process, remember try not to go overboard.  It's important to set a budget and stick with it. This is something you will thank yourself for later, after the holidays are over and the bills come in!
My husband, Chris, and I have three children, large families of our own, and one income. It is very important for us to plan a budget and stick to it. It is so easy to just keep buying for our kids, especially our daughter, for some reason.  I can go into Shaw's and find something I want to buy for her!  That is when a budget comes into play. It forces me to think about what she would really want. I have to sort through her interests and decide on gifts based on what she would truly love and play with most, rather than just buying everything I see. This also helps simplify Christmas and make it more special. It isn't about how many gifts are under the tree, but the thought and meaning behind each gift.
The first step we took in planning our budget was cutting back on the number of people we buy for. Every year our list was getting longer, but the income remains the same.  We decided to talk to our siblings about not buying for each other and just buying for the children. After all, don't all parents focus on their children at Christmas time?  Everyone loved the idea and felt the same way. Don't misunderstand; I would love to buy my sister a gift.  She is so easy to buy for, I can think of a million things she would love. We agreed that it makes more sense to buy for the kids.

Another way we cut back is giving to friends. What is the most important thing? Time, so we make time to do something special with my husband's buddy, rather than buying him and his wife a present. The older the kids get, the less time it seems you have for others, so this forces us to make time for our loved ones without spending a fortune.
It is really hard to bring up the topic of not exchanging gifts with a sibling or friend.  I didn't want my siblings to think I didn't want to buy for them, or Chris' friend to think we didn't want to buy for him and his wife.  But once we did, it felt good and it turned out that they felt the same way!

Everyone has a budget, some larger and some smaller, but we all need to stick to it. Simplify in any way possible. In the end, being together, seeing the smiles on your kids' faces, and feeling a little less pressure due to unwanted debt makes it all worth it!
Did you make any changes in your shopping list this year?

by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cara124
by Bronze Member on Dec. 21, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Being a Single/Divorced Mom of 3 ( 2 teenage DD's & 1 tween DS ) Budgeting is my first ,middle & last name LOL ..... Yes in my house budgeting is a must for everyone . So Christmas is no different . I save & plan all year for just this one month & I have the kids make a list of 10 things they really WANT . Then a list of 10 things they really NEED . Then I pick things I can afford ( and I think the really need LOL ) off each list. Works great and they always seem happy Christmas.

natesmom1228
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Yes, we didn't buy for the out of town neices and nephews.

goddess99
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 9:26 AM

No my shopping list is the same as it was last year. Basically the same amount of money and same people to buy for.

fraujones
by Amanda on Dec. 21, 2012 at 10:28 AM

We spent more than we anticipated, but we're ok. 

jessicasmom1
by Bronze Member on Dec. 21, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Yes DD wanted more money than anything so a few gifts for her

sukainah
by Gold Member on Dec. 21, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Those are good ideas.  We don't Christmas shop and don't do a lot of gifts on our holidays, so it doesn't really effect us much.

MamaMandee
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Yes we ended up taking a handful of "extras" off our list this year. 

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Dec. 21, 2012 at 12:16 PM

I had a bigger busget this year but I always shop smart to save money

slw123
by Shawna on Dec. 21, 2012 at 12:49 PM

We didn't change it this year, we changed it a few years ago.

alliesmom112
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 1:02 PM

We pay cash for everything at Christmas so we don't have all the bills coming in later if we don't have the cash we don't get it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)