Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

He called me a sap lol.

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:05 PM
  • 15 Replies

So I told my DH about donating some toys to the school for the Santa presents. He didn't ask me how much I spent or how much I bought. He didn't even care. I told him it was something I felt I needed to do and explained how sad it would be for the kids that wouldn't get anything when Santa comes to the school. He called me a sap and then laughed. When he got home he just smiled at me and gave me a big hug. 

I agree with some of you though, it does seem weird or not right that they do this. I don't understand why they would do something like this when they should know that some parents won't be able to provide that present. They are having Christmas parties and instead of gift exchanges like they had when I was in school, they are doing treat bags. That seems more fair. I don't know, but I hope it helps some kids be happy on the 20th.

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SarahSuzyQ
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:10 PM

I think I missed your OP about this -- are they doing some big public Santa thing with presents donated by parents? What a terrible idea. Can you get some parents to complain about this so they don't continue the practice and make things more difficult for families that are struggling?

If you're a sap, I think it's the good kind... The kind that cares about all kids. :)

TheMrs407
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:12 PM
We do this. The toys are a donation. It's not mandatory and the toys go to needy children in the school.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
proudmommy690
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:14 PM
Aww glad he wasnt mad. Yeah they shouldnt do that its not fair for some. :( my daughter got a candy cane from Santa when she saw him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashleymosq
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:19 PM

At my DD's school (she is in Kindergarten) they are having Santa come to the school on Thursday. He is going to go to each classroom with his bag full of toys. I got a letter last week saying that we are to provide the toy that Santa brings for our kid. I took my DD's up there today and asked them about donating some toys for the kids that may not get anything from Santa when he comes. 

I don't know how long they have been doing this. I think if it becomes a huge issue there will be more parents complain though.

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

I think I missed your OP about this -- are they doing some big public Santa thing with presents donated by parents? What a terrible idea. Can you get some parents to complain about this so they don't continue the practice and make things more difficult for families that are struggling?

If you're a sap, I think it's the good kind... The kind that cares about all kids. :)

ashleymosq
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:20 PM

For our school Santa is coming on Thursday and bringing toys for the kids. The toys are the ones that the parents have to send up to the school for their kid. So if a parent does not send a present, the kid does not get anything from Santa. I hated thinking about it, so I dropped some extra toys off.

Quoting TheMrs407:

We do this. The toys are a donation. It's not mandatory and the toys go to needy children in the school.

ashleymosq
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Ohhh I love candy canes hehe. My DH picked up some sour warhead ones. They are so good hehe. No it's not fair for some. I almost started crying when I thought about the kids that may not get something. Of course that could be the pregnancy hormones lol. 

Quoting proudmommy690:

Aww glad he wasnt mad. Yeah they shouldnt do that its not fair for some. :( my daughter got a candy cane from Santa when she saw him.

TheMrs407
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:22 PM
I see. Thats very sweet of you. I am almost certain a child got a present because of your kindness and generosity.

Quoting ashleymosq:

For our school Santa is coming on Thursday and bringing toys for the kids. The toys are the ones that the parents have to send up to the school for their kid. So if a parent does not send a present, the kid does not get anything from Santa. I hated thinking about it, so I dropped some extra toys off.

Quoting TheMrs407:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SarahSuzyQ
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:23 PM

I would complain now. And then complain again next year if they do it again.

You can speak up for the families that are struggling, and perhaps that will help them recognize that it's more than just a personal issue. It's bound to cause all kinds of problems, even just jealousy between kids that's completely unnecessary in the school setting. :(

But again, good for you to step up and help those families in need. I am thankful for folks who do that kind of thing.

Quoting ashleymosq:

At my DD's school (she is in Kindergarten) they are having Santa come to the school on Thursday. He is going to go to each classroom with his bag full of toys. I got a letter last week saying that we are to provide the toy that Santa brings for our kid. I took my DD's up there today and asked them about donating some toys for the kids that may not get anything from Santa when he comes. 

I don't know how long they have been doing this. I think if it becomes a huge issue there will be more parents complain though.

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

sweetpea1269
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:34 PM
Sappy is good ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Leelee1008
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:46 PM

that was very nice of you. I remember when I was in 5th grade, we did a secret santa in class, I dont remember if it was all of the class or just a few of us, it was fun. But I agree, some parents dont have the money or just dont want to be bothered. Hope you make some kid happy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)