Smarter Mom: When is your chill-out time?

Posted by   + Show Post

Look around. Are they are all busy? Maybe napping, possibly playing on the new iPad mini, perhaps reading a text from a buddy. Tiptoe if you must. Go...go now...yes, I'm talking about you escaping for a much-needed mom chill-out time.

You know of this, don't you? Those times -- could be little as 10 minutes, as long as an hour - when you get to take a break. You could nap, play Angry Birds, read, write a poem, go for a run, or just sit there. That is the beauty of mom chill-out time. It is whatever you want it to be.

All of us need to take time for ourselves. Last week, over on the Mad Life hub, there was lots of talk about how tired we are. Sometimes, taking a break, which may seem counterproductive when you feel like you have every minute accounted for, is exactly what you need to do.

I am not good at taking time for myself. Me? I'd love to take an afternoon and go to the movies. By myself. See something totally mindless. Or go take a dance class. Or a long walk...can't remember the last time I did that. Hmm, resolution time is coming up. I know what will be on the top of my list.

Do you take a chill-out time? What do you like to do?

ŠiStockphoto.com/PeskeyMonkey 

by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (131-136):
bether89
by Ruby Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:52 PM

I take my chill out time after the kids are in bed.  I like to read and get on Cafemom.

nikkita311
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:43 AM
No me time at all.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lenakay
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 1:13 AM

my husband works the midnight shift, so after he leaves I get up and watch t.v. and eat junk food,read or surf the web.my son is asleep and its the only time I get for myself.

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 8:04 AM

oh i gave up on quiet bathroom time awhile ago!  it seems the kids never need anything until i'm in the shower or using the toilet.

Quoting Pixie1217:

This exactly! I'm lucky if I get to go to the bathroom without being bothered.

Quoting lizzig:

not really & i really need to.  even the few times hubby takes the kids out to give me a break i end up cleaning, doing laundry, etc.  i've found since becoming a mom i can't "tune out" like i used to be able to.  before kids i could walk away from the craziness of life & go do something or nothing to escape for a bit.  now though i'm never "off the clock" & can't make myself be selfish & do something just for me.

powow65
by kimmy on Dec. 30, 2012 at 8:07 AM
Knowing I can't craft ATM. I play "world of Warcraft" after DD goes to bed.
It relaxes me a bit. But if my hand didn't hurt so bad, I woul be crocheting again!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Threes.Company
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:14 AM

I go to the gym 4-5 times a week and work out for 60-90 mins.  That is when I burn off some steam.  But I like chill out time at home, on the couch after the kids go to bed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: