Group Home

The Day After Christmas

Posted by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 58 Replies

It's the day after Christmas and now what? Are you over it? Do you pack it all up and send Christmas on its merry way until next year or do you let it linger a bit? Usually, I let the tree linger a bit, but I'll tell you what...I'm definitely over Christmas music at this point, I'm ready to move on to something more funky like Prince and party like it's 1999 (yes, I am showing my age).

What about shopping? Are you over shopping or are you eager for more? It would be a lie to say I'm ever over shopping, I may over-shop, but I'm never over shopping. I like to shop. I don't do it much anymore because my budget both financially and time-wise won't allow, but I love to shop.

I know lots of people like to stock up on Christmas ornaments and décor during this time because you can get such a good deal on things. Me, I like it when I get gift cards for Christmas and I can shop online. I love sitting in my home surrounded by a bit of post-Christmas debris, wearing pjs, and strolling through the virtual aisles on my laptop.

For some reason, I take my time when it comes to spending gift cards. I don't want to rush into a purchase. I mean, should I buy something I need or something I want? Should it be something that is just for me or something we can all enjoy? Or should I spend them on something that I wouldn't want to spend my own money on? The possibilities are endless.

Actually, the possibilities are not endless because I live in a place with very little storage. I'm sure if I had more storage space, I'd buy holiday décor on clearance for the next year, but I just don't have anywhere to put it. We have a basement in a shared building and a small section of the basement is designated for our use. I store away our holiday décor in plastic bins that are labeled with invisible ink. Yup, I haven't gotten around to labeling them. I'm sure there are better ways to store them, but can I tell you just how grateful I am for those bins?

Earlier this year, there was a sewer back-up in our basement. Yuck. Everything that was not in a plastic bin had to be thrown away because nothing, but nothing that is an object is worth me having to clean human waste off of it. Ugh, how did this post go from what do you do after Christmas is over to human waste? My apologies.

But really, what do you do the day after Christmas? And how do you deal with the storing of holiday décor?

by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4kidz916
by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 7:58 AM

I usually take this day to get all the presents cleaned up and tidy up the house a bit then I just relax.  I don't take down the decorations until closer to Jan. 1.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Dec. 26, 2012 at 8:43 AM

It is the day we find space for the new toys and throw out the old ones.

GwenMB
by Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 9:58 AM

I have a spot in the basement where all the boxes of Christmas stuff goes.

We will be doing some shopping today.  Partly for something the boys want, but also for more storage tubs & on sale Christmas stuff.

GwenMB
by Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 9:59 AM

I would like to pack up all the Christmas decorations - but I think we have to wait a few more days.

ceciliam
by Ruby Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 10:08 AM

I relax and play on CM. lol!

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 10:11 AM

We wait to take down the decor.

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Dec. 26, 2012 at 10:30 AM

I am not going shopping.I have in the past.My om and I used to go and come back with the car loaded

Sisteract
by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 10:43 AM

I wait a couple of days.

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Dec. 26, 2012 at 11:18 AM

We relax the day after. I have several bins that I keep my decor in. It dosnt come down till the week the kids go back to school. 

timon95
by Member on Dec. 26, 2012 at 12:29 PM

we just took down our outside stuff because we are supposed to get a lot of snow. everything else stays up for another week. today is a day to play and relax

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. deccaf
  2. SweetLuci
  3. egyptian_mommy
  4. mrswillie
  5. TigerofMu
  6. jconney80